Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which mount please?

ramstar

I've had my 200 Dob for a few months now and am more than pleased with it. However, with a view to looking out for gear that will get me into imaging, particularly planets and the moon, I thought one option would be to buy used as and when what I felt would be a piece of kit became available., even if I took 12 months to be up and running. Doesn't work like that though does it?

I bought an Evostar 100ED Pro (impulse buy as you do) and now want to start usingit.

Will the HEQ Pro be stable enough for the Evostar but ill it also support the Dob or should I be thinking more along the HEQ6 Pro?I

I have just purchased an EQ6 and the advice I have been receiving for a couple of years (while thinking of buying one) is that the best way to invest is to get the best you can afford. Buy a lesser mount, and you will regret it. I think you would find the HEQ5 a disappointment with the 8" scope. And if you go for the EQ6, take note of the comments on here (and elsewhere) on the altitude bolts - buy replacements at the same time (£28.75 from Astrodevelopments).

Just a thought: as you are imaging, you will presumably be using the laptop on each session, so save yourself a few quid and go for the syntrek version rather than the synscan version. Then add EQMOD to your laptop and control the scope with that. You will need an appropriate cable, which you can make yourself (there is lots of advice on this on the net) or buy one at the same time (like I did - £27 from FLO - still a saving of over £70 compared to the synscan).

I was absolutely paranoid about not being able to get it all working together, but it is really simple. Believe me, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it.

HTH

Whilst I agree with the idea that biggest is best you may wish to consider portability if you are considering imaging from dark sites...I don't know your circumstances. I have just obtained (second-hand, like nearly all my stuff) an NEQ6 and it is one heavy lump. Many people on here image very successfully with the HEQ5....And it's much easier to move about.

My poor old back!!!

HTH

Steve

I agree with both posts above!! It's good to future proof yourself if you can, of that there is no doubt. I use an HEQ5 and it gives me super results well above what I would expect with it. But then I am using a short focal length refractor and it likes that!!! A big 8" scope, I'd not put that on an HEQ5. It will struggle to hold it stable in the whiff of a breeze.

Minimum NEQ6 or similiar mounts is my advice aswell, especially with that 8". Things tend to be a bit heavy and wobbly with guide scopes, cameras etc.

You might be able use the HEQ5 with success, I've seen others do well with it but if you can afford a bigger mount it's always a good idea. I had a terrible mount until I got my NEQ6 and I spent my nights struggling with all sorts of problems, some might find this fun but I certainly don't.

Sure, NEQ6 is one heavy lump, takes a fair bit longer to setup but in the end I think you will be far more productive.

Archived