Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Super wide angle lens for 1/2" format camera?

michaelmorris

Hi folks

I've just bought a Watec 902H2 Supreme as an upgrade for the Samsung SDC-435 camera I've been using as an all-sky meteor camera. The Samsung was used with a 2.1mm board camera lens + adaptor, but this gives significant vignetting when used with the 1/2" chip in the Watec.

I'm struggling to find a suitable C/CS mount lens. I want something that will give >100 degrees field of view and is not £100s to buy. Ideally it would have an auto iris control, but this isn't a deal breaker.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you need a 1/2" lens. If you use a 1/3" lens on a 1/2" CCD It gives tunnel vision. But you can use a 1/2" lens on a 1/3" CCD.

If im not mistaken something like a 1/2" 4mm lens will give you a large FOV.

Heres a cheap one you could try without breaking the bank,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-Camera-Lens-Computar-6mm-1-2-inch-Auto-Iris-Lens-C-Mount-/321181679075?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item4ac7eb7de3

New 1/2" lenses on Ebay appear to be around £50

Google CCTV lens calculator there are a few online which give you FOV examples

Cheers Carl

Sounds like you need a 1/2" lens. If you use a 1/3" lens on a 1/2" CCD It gives tunnel vision. But you can use a 1/2" lens on a 1/3" CCD.

If im not mistaken something like a 1/2" 4mm lens will give you a large FOV.

Heres a cheap one you could try without breaking the bank,

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ac7eb7de3

New 1/2" lenses on Ebay appear to be around £50

Google CCTV lens calculator there are a few online which give you FOV examples

I've already done both these and come up pretty blank. The only 1/2" super wide angle (>115 degrees FOV) I've come with so far that is less than £100 has a FOV of 180 degrees = too big!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F7M11-1-8mm-3-MEGAPIXEL-CCTV-BOARD-LENS-WIDE-ANGLE-185-MULTI-COATING-1-2-7-/300932953940?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item4611007754#ht_2536wt_924

Ideally I'm looking for a field of view of around 130-150 degrees. Therefore I reckon I'm probably looking for something around 2.5 mm focal length. The one you have suggested is 6mm.

Michael. .try Dennis at ragecams. ..he says he has a massive amount of lenses. .had messaged him a couple of times on specs for his astro cam ...seems a goodd guy very honest dosent palm you off with stuff that's no good...Davy

Michael. .try Dennis at ragecams. ..he says he has a massive amount of lenses. .had messaged him a couple of times on specs for his astro cam ...seems a goodd guy very honest dosent palm you off with stuff that's no good...Davy

I've looked at Ragecam and I'm afraid I'm a bit put off by the >£29 postage charge and the fact that I could end up with a VAT + VAT collection charge as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked at Ragecam and I'm afraid I'm a bit put off by the >£29 postage charge and the fact that I could end up with a VAT + VAT collection charge as well.

Just worked it out, and I reckon with postage, VAT and royal mail VAT collection fee it would end up costing me £121 for a £64 lens from RageCam.

Archived