1st post

Martin 2

I would only recommend 1 astro shop in Devon - London Camera Exchange, good service and an excellent supply of quality scopes.

I may be selling some of my stuff shortly - if you're interested pm me.

Greg

I saw their ad in the sky at night mag, so I drove up there this morning, cut through marsh barton only to hit a huge que of traffic starting at the cattle market, I gave up in the end but I will try another day as you recomend them.

I think I'm looking for a 8" goto, either a meade or celestron but the prices are steep in the uk and there doesnt seem to be any variation on price from dealer to dealer

No worries Martin,

If you go with Meade or Celestron I've always got the impression that there is a minimum price that maybe half a dozen dealers sell at but which you cannot get below no matter how much you look around.

When I was looking at an LX90 a few years ago the prices I found were (if memory serves) between £1350 and £1650, quite a few places were offering £1350 but not one was selling for even £50 less.

Gaz

No ..... i'm saying that the anti-monopoly laws don't count because they are imported good. And the manufactures are charging the importers so much that they have to set a price to make any profit at all. No rigging involved...just greed.

Once again i get hold of the wrong end of the stick mate........sorry!

Point taken though and agreed with............Greedy Greedy Greedy....sods!

I think I want an 8" goto, I've been surfing the web for weeks looking at all the different tyres and looking through forums etc, celestron seem to come out best for customer back up, meade not so well although their scopes seem good, to be honest I've looked at so much info my brain hurts

Martin

I think I want an 8" goto, I've been surfing the web for weeks looking at all the different tyres and looking through forums etc, celestron seem to come out best for customer back up, meade not so well although their scopes seem good, to be honest I've looked at so much info my brain hurts

Martin

The Meade LX90 is an excellent scope.  One of our members - Damien - runs an online telescope hire service and I think the LX90 is one of the scopes offered.  I am sure that he'd be pleased to offer an opinion.

His Telescopes4U link is at the bottom of the page.

Hope that helps,

Steve :clouds2:

No ..... I'm saying that the anti-monopoly laws don't count because they are imported good. And the manufactures are charging the importers so much that they have to set a price to make any profit at all. No rigging involved...just greed.

He's absolutely right!

There is no price rigging between dealers. 

The reason dealers all tend to discount down to a certain price is because below that price, it simply isn't worth selling.

As for the manufacturers greed ....  :silent: :clouds2:

Steve

Archived