Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

41mm Panoptic

Scooot

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Show off. But I remember the dinosaurs. My god, they were great. Never been anything like it since. Lions? Pah!

Olly

Personally Olly, I'd rather be you where you are, beautiful location, plenty of clear nights, no light pollution, plenty of kit ;).

One thing I have been wondering, lets say I had gone for a 26 or 31mm nagler instead. Presumably the lower power would let in more light than than the 20mm ES, but the latter would have better contrast. I haven't been able to see all of the western veil from here yet so I'm wondering whether the lower power naglers would have given me a better chance.

It's a cracking eyepiece. You might get lucky and get it for less than £300. The founder of the society that I'm a member of had a look through mine a few weeks ago and described as a work of art.

It's a cracking eyepiece. You might get lucky and get it for less than £300. The founder of the society that I'm a member of had a look through mine a few weeks ago and described as a work of art.

There is one on UK Astro Buy & Sell right now for less than £300 - never used, apparently.

There is one on UK Astro Buy & Sell right now for less than £300 - never used, apparently.

Just looked at it. Not much in it, my estimates including delivery. Thanks for pointing it out though.

One thing I have been wondering, lets say I had gone for a 26 or 31mm nagler instead. Presumably the lower power would let in more light than than the 20mm ES, but the latter would have better contrast. I haven't been able to see all of the western veil from here yet so I'm wondering whether the lower power naglers would have given me a better chance.

Well, all eyepieces let in most of the light and let most of it out again. That's not the issue, I don't think. It's what they do with it. Higher mag will give more contrast but only until it bocomes too high and then everything goes soft. Both contrast and resolution disappear. I suspect that predicting from theory will only get you so far.

Olly

Well a strange Sunday, I've spent so much time on here I'm down to 10 percent battery.

when I started this thread I had no intention of spending any money today. 41mm panoptic to 20 mm ES does seem a bit of an extreme switch. But it's because of all your help that I've been able to make the decision to buy that instead. I would never have looked to see it was on sale at such a bargain price.

so thank you everyone, its very much appreciated!

The ES 20mm 100 deg arrived today, not bad after ordering it Sunday from the states.

It is a bit of a hand grenade

I can't try it out tonight because I'm going it so it should be clear!

For those of you who are interested this is how the pricing worked out.

USD 299.99 purchase price

USD 57.21 shipping

USD 357.20 total

£232.33 mastercard conversion

£. 6.39 Transaction charge

£ 49.74. Import Vat (paid at the door)

£9.77. Other duties

£11.00. Handling charge.

£309.23 total purchase price

In total an extra £70.51 paid at the door, which Is roughly what i was expecting.

For comparison the cheapest UK price I could find was £449.95 plus delivery or euro 479 from Germany so still quite a saving.

the 26 mm nagler which I was my alternative is £425.95

Anyway, can't wait to try it.

Hi Richard, many of us would be pleased to hear your first light report :laugh:

I'd particularly be interested in how sharp towards the edge of field you find it in your OO Dob, and how you get on with the eyerelief.

Thanks in advance, Ed.

Archived