Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A crop from a single frame from the AVI capture.

I used the 12" Dobsonian for this and the ToUcam. Barlowing proved too tricky, I couldn't find the target.

K3CCDTools calculated the image scale at 0.77" per pixel. Under 8x digital magnification, I counted the pixel separation of the orange and white blobs, it came out at 8 pixels in one direction and 6 on the other, giving a Pythagorean 10, which works out at 7.7 arc-seconds. The white blob shows evidence of being elongated, perhaps something like 5-6 pixels longer in one direction than the other. That gives a centre separation of the two putative constituent blobs of about 2.5 pixels or 2 arc-seconds.

2670_normal.png

(click to enlarge)

That is great stuff Themos. I have just had a look at Burnhams on Iota Cass. Closest pair form a binary in slow retrograde motion, with a period of about 840 years., according to a 1962 orbit computation by Heintz. The semi major axis of the orbit is 2.3 arc seconds, and the eccentricity is 0.40. Apparently, astrometric measurements indicate that another much closer star is present, with a period of about 52 years.

The third visible component is at 7 arc seconds, and is a physical member of the system, but has shown no definite relative motion since discovery by F.G. W. Struve 1829. The period must be at least several thousand years.

The projected separations are AB = 115 AU,s AC = 350 AU,s. The primary of the system, is a spectrum variable, with a period of 1.74 days.

I hope you don't mind me adding this information to your post, I just thought it would bring home some realization to what these specs of light you have imaged, represent, and be of interest to some readers. I merely copied the info from Burnhams. I don't pretend to understand all of it, but I do have a great interest in multiple star systems.

Ron.

Thanks for adding the Burnham info. I just had a look in recent preprints to see if there's any interest in Iota. Most recent research is focused on "Cas A", a supernova remnant. It does look extraordinary in Hubble pictures.

I guess most of the interest in Cass 'A' centres around it being a strong radio source. I have seen a Hubble image of it, and you are right in saying it looks extraordinary. I always thought it was Tycho Brahe who first observed the Supernova that resulted in Cassiopeia A.

I will have to go and do some research.

:icon_jokercolor:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wrote earlier that I used the ToUcam and the Skyliner (fl=1500mm). Scale works out at 0.77 arc-seconds per pixel. FOV is about 8x6 arcminutes.

This is a frame from the capture:

2670_large.png

The first image I posted was the result of the stacking but enlarged massively so that the shapes and colors can be seen.

Archived