Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newt or Dob?

So I've doing AP for almost 18months now and love it! But my ED80 just doesn't cut it for observing. Especially from my heavy LP back yard. So I'm looking at getting my second scope for observing. I first set my eyes on at least a 10" Dob with goto but then realized I could also use a 10" newt. I want to have goto as if I can't find it on my own then I want a back up to be able to find it so I dont get to frustrated and give up. Which is why I thought maybe a Newt might work well as already have my HEQ5 so I could possible save some money going that way. But what I'm not sure is that is there a difference between a Dob and a Newt for viewing and what would your suggestions be?

A Dobsonian is a type of alt-azimuth telescopemount, a Newtonian is a type of reflecting telescope. A Dobsonian mount usually carries a Newtonian telescope. An equatorial mount is preferred for astro photography. :smiley:

Another one of those confusing things in astronomy starting out where the nomenclature gets muddled up a bit. Jut like Cheshire versus sight tube versus a combination tool :D but it seems that is the way it goes in practice, the mount and scope get thrown into the same basket.

Now if you were a really clever business person, you'd sell a Dobsonian without the scope for the price of the full thing, and claim that the mount can hold a 10 inch scope and say afterwards, I never said it came with the scope :D, would the seller be wrong ? :)

Like has been said a Dob is a mounting not a type of scope.

However, I would say that setting up and using a Dob is a lot quicker and easier than an EQ.

I've owned both EQ and Dob mounted 10" newts, and the Dob is a lot more user friendly.

Given the choice between an EQ, and Dob mounted 10" newt, for visual purposes, I would go Dob every time :)

For me dark skies and getting to them is far better visually than any tracking benefits of an EQ mount. A Dob mount means easy transport, quick set up time, and generally less hassle than a power driven mount.

The easier our set up....the more we'll be inclined to use it. :)

I would also recommebd the dob for visual! Most of the money goes into the optics. Also a 10" scope on an EQ mount will be a huge weight! The mount needs to be sturdy and the OTA already weighs a ton! So i would go with a 10-12" dob as they are easy to handle!

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Archived