Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade ETX-7OAT

I managed to pick up one of these for £130 incl tripod brand new from a shop that was closing down as I had been looking for a relatively small portable scope .Are they any good ? I've already got a CPC1100 but fancied something that I could cart round easily in a car

Hi. There are at least three ETX 70s owned by my clubmates. £130 for a new one is a very good price.

One issue mentioned by the owners is that they work much better with an external power tank, especially in cold conditions. You may have a power tank for your CPC 1100, but be careful as to the voltage. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that the ETX 70 runs at 9 volts ?

The ETX 70 is a short focus achromat, so will give great low power wide field views. You will need some short focal length eyepieces, or a barlow, to reach higher powers. I think that the trick with any telescope is to use it within its limitations. Try it at higher powers, see what you think. I actually like looking at planets at less than 100x, Jupiter and Saturn are a great sight even when tiny in the field of view.

I often use the 70mm short focus refractor that's in my equipment list. Many times I've been pleasantly surprised by what I've seen, even from my light polluted back garden.

If you can get the ETX to a dark site, loads of DSOs are within its grasp.

Good luck with your very portable scope, have fun, Ed.

Will work from batteries, get a pack from poundland and fit 6, but not the best option.

Better is a power supply and if at home I suggest getting 2 items:

1) A mains power supply from somewhere like maplins,

2) search out a PP3 to circular power connection adaptor. You could build one from bits from maplins, but watch the polarity.

Supply your location and timezone and a location name for a custom location.

Alignment is simple: Level the mount, level the tube, point it North (Polaris not magnetic), supply the time and DST Off at present and that is more or less it.

The scope will pick 2 alignment stars and slew to each in turn, you job is to centre each and press Enter.

You will need a reasonable horizon in case any are low.

Eyepieces, If you can/want get BST Skyguiders, they work well on the ETX.

You will not get great magnifications, reality and experience says use a 5mm eyepiece and nothing less.

Have one as a grab and go and I have a 5mm and 25mm BST, want an 8mm at some time to complete the G&G accessories.

Also I use the car to power it when out - Maplins sell a plug in power converter for cars that can be switched from car 12v (13.8v) to 3v or 6v. These are good for powering the scope from a car (convenient socket in boot).

You do not need a finder, a 25mm eyepiece is so wide in the scope there is little point.

Thy make a noise when slewing to the next target, and when just tracking they sort of "grumble".

Accessories: Check with Scopes and Skies or Pulsar or Astro Engineering, they used to make a solar filter for the ETX70, Full glass and metal item that screws on the front. Excellent thing for solar viewing in white light. Wasn't costly either considering the construction. Other items wiorth thinking of Flexible cable to adjust the focus and a combined compass and bubble level (compass no real use). Bubble level is useful for levelling mount and tube.

Don't over tighten the clutches on the arms, just so they grip well.

Manuals are available on the Meade site.

Don't think the software is upgradable, live with what you have, find the SAO numbers for stars.

You mention cart round in the car, mine is in the car wrapped in a sleeping bag almost permanently - partly to do with being too lazy to drag it in and out. All accessories - eyepieces, car adaptor, tripod bits etc - are in a £6 trolly bag from BarginsSomething.

I was planning to make a big post about this, but my points are mostly covered already. The alignment is very quick, and I often use mine on a table or windowsill (more rigid than the tripod providing you don't knock it!). I use batteries and have never had any related problems.

Archived