NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 7000 in Hubble-palette

jarbi

Hi Everyone,

It happens very rarely in Belgium that I can have 3 nights for imaging in a row, but this time I nailed it :smiley: . On the night of 8,9 and 10 july I could manage to take this narrowband image of the North America and Pelical nebula, living just 3 km away from Brussels Airport with an 18,2 mag sky.

The telescope was a 70mm TS ED refractor, with an Atik 11000 mono camera and Atik EFW2 filterwheel attached, on my EQ6 Atlas montering. I have done 3 hours guided exposure for each filter of the Hubble palette filterset ( SII:6x10 min, Ha:6x10 min, OIII:6x10 min), with 2x2 binning, using PHD Guiding.

All frames were captured with Sequence Generator Pro, still my favorite software !

Preprocessing in Nebulosity 3 ( flats, darks, RGB synthesis ), final touches in Photoshop ( levels, curves, noise reduction, color transformations for Hubble palette ).

All remarks are welcome,

Clear skies,

Janos

post-632-0-48627500-1374592657_thumb.jpg

Another fine example of NGC7000, we don't see many taken with the Atik 11000 either (not many folk have this CCD). Just wondering if with a slightly different framing you could have got the entire nebula in, it's close at the moment but a little of the RHS is missing. I see you're another user of SGP as well, do you do autofocusing with this? It's one of the few packages that claims to be able to do this. As an aside I also lived for 3 years in Belgium - in Schilde, you may know it.

Martin

Thanks Martin and Gina !

Martin, I will try now to answer your questions :smiley: . The framing is indeed a bit tight, but I wanted to capture the almost vertical dark path on the left side, so I had to spare out a part on the other side. In SGP I could only work with a digital focuser AFAIK, but I only have an analog one on my Moonlite. I have tested my filterset before, and they seem to be pretty parfocal. There can be a slight focus shift caused by temperature change I think, but I didn't experience it yet.

Clear skies,

Janos

Archived