NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope advice

kernowsims

Hi, I am fairly new to astronomy and bought a basic telescope (Celestron 70mm Powerseeker - azimuth mount). This has been great and I have had good views of the moon, Jupiter and also Saturn but I really want an better mount and to see more and better detail so am already looking at new telescopes! I have looked at the Skywatcher Evostar 120 - EQ3-2 and wondered whether this will make a noticeable difference to my viewing or whether I am better off saving up for something bigger but don't have loads of money......any advice would be really welcomed. Anything on solar viewing would also be helpful. Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris and welcome to SGL, scope choice is a personal thing and revolves around really what you want to observe, the Evostar 120 will certainly be an improvement on the 70mm but so will a 200mm Dob, be quite a dramatic improvement yet again. For less than you were going to pay for your 120mm EQ3-2. Such a scope will provide you with rewarding views from planets to DSO, and at some time in the future, when finances allow, you can always mount the scope on a GEM. Something for you to think about. As to Solar observing a dedicated Solar scope is expensive, but most acquire the Baader AstroSolar safety film to form a mask to fit over the end of the scope. I know it is repeating what you have heard before, but Solar viewing can be rewarding, but also highly dangerous, if the proper guide lines to Solar observing are ignored, there are on short cuts, to do so could cost you your eyesight. Enjoy your Astronomy :)

Hi Chris welcome to the lounge

Like everything the more money you have the better kit you

can buy, the 200p dob is a good starter scope, and very good

value, aperture is what you need to get better views, so going

from 90mm to 200mm gives you all you will need, until the dreaded

aperture fever sets in, everyone get's it in the end.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hello Chris and welcome to SGL!! Your refractor would be OK for some white light Solar imaging. Have a look at this tutorial http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/153712-simple-white-light-solar-imaging/ (Modesty forbids me to mention the author :p ). You can do all of this with just Baader film and, for processing, free software (and a camera!).

Hi, Chris, and welcome to SGL! As 'Glowjet' said above, scopes are a personal thing - so I would suggest you go along to a local astronomy club and see for yourself the different types of scopes, their uses, size and cost. If you look under 'Social Groups' on here there is a tab for 'Devon and Cornwall'. I'm sure someone on there will be able to help you find a group.

Martin

Hi Again, I have looked at the 200mm dob and see that it is an azimuth mount. One of the things I didn't like about my old Celestron was the azimuth mount as it was a bit tricky to track and also the adjusters were not very good and often the telescope moved even when the adjusting screws were tight. Is the azimuth on the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian better? Sorry to be a pain. Chris

From what has been written on these scopes there doesn't seem to be an issue with movement once the scope has been locked into position. Of course if you are using a huge eyepiece then there might be a need to counterbalance any subsequent movement it but I would assume that your current budget will help you avoid that problem for now. Don't forget Chris, that you can always put some mounting rings around the scope at a later date to mount it on a more substantial mount when funds and experience permit. The 200P is such a great performer and is the UK's best selling scope because of the quality - you certainly won't regret buying it.

James

Archived