Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Doubles observed tonight

I setup at around 10pm even though it was beginning to cloud over a bit hoping it would clear

by the time I would start observing at around 11 pm.

I thought I would do a tour of Lyra as it is easy to star hop in this small constellation and

started with Zeta Lyrae as I had already done the double double a couple of days earlier.

Split the double easily enough but after about a couple of minutes it clouded over without hardly

any stars showing anywhere.

There was a little gap from Altair stretching to the west but the seeing was not good.

I scanned that section of the sky with binoculars and saw two faint stars and after consulting a

star map found these were. Rasalhague and Rasalgethi which was the fainter of the two.

According to the star atlas Rasalgethi is a red supergiant semiregular variable, range mag. 2.7-4.0

and the B component is a bright giant mag. 5.4

Viewed at 112x mag. the larger star appeared deep yellow and the smaller a very pale blue.

After about 5 minutes it clouded over everywhere so I packed up and came in.

You were lucky ! I set up with wispy light cloud overhead, then waited for it to clear which it didn't.

Struve 2470/74 is the other double double in Lyra, considerably smaller, but worth finding as the stars are parallel.

There's loads more in Sky and Telescope's "Double stars for small telescopes" by Sissy Haas. Very well worth getting for those clear skies,

Nick.

You were lucky ! I set up with wispy light cloud overhead, then waited for it to clear which it didn't.

A similar experience here. I set up about 9.45 and when Arcturus showed used this to align my finder then went over to Vega and went for the double double. Just about managed a split at 107x and then waited for a darker sky. By 11.15 all I could see was an orange dome so gave up and packed it in.

I already have the cambridge double star atlas, is the double stars for small telescopes by Sissy Haas also worth having along

side that ?

Avtar

Yep, a brilliant companion to the charts, really useful info on what you can observe,

Nick.

A copy of "Double stars for small telescopes" by Sissy Haas arrived today.

Just had a quick look through it, will make a good companion to "The cambridge double star atlas".

Thanks Nick.

Avtar

Archived