Where to buy 2" caps??

Mr Bond

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was recently a similar question on the AstronomyForum. Someone gave some websites - however if you google Telescope eyepiece caps there are online vendors and offer a variety of choices at reasonable prices. Go for it.

I found this type on e-bay as well. Quite soft and shaped like a teat at the end. If you want the proper flat translucent caps that are supplied with many EPs, then TS is the only place I found in Europe.

Thats good to know as I need one as well and I'd like the flat type. I wonder why they are so hard to find ?

Thanks for the tip off :smiley:

I don't know John. We should club together and get a bag full. I never ordered any because paying more than 20 euro for 2 plastic caps for the end of my EPs didn't feel quite right. The postal charge will be related to weight, so we could probably order 10,000 for the same delivery charge.

The trouble with those soft caps is that they are no use on modern ultra and hyper wide eyepiece designs that have a field lens set with the bottom lens very close to the end of the 2" barrel. You really want inflexible caps where the inside surface of the cap cannot inadvertently come into contact with that lower lens surface.

The trouble with those soft caps is that they are no use on modern ultra and hyper wide eyepiece designs that have a field lens set with the bottom lens very close to the end of the 2" barrel. You really want inflexible caps where the inside surface of the cap cannot inadvertently come into contact with that lower lens surface.

John, thanks - talk about not seeing the wood for the trees, I hadn't noticed that the MA offering was the soft/teeted variety. Really must clean these glasses!

I have e-mailed Bernard to ask if he can source the rigid TS dustcovers / parts:

KI125Z 1.25" internal

KI2z 2" internal

Ka125z 1.125" external

Ka2z 2" external

Otherwise, if anyones considering placing an order I'm definitely up for a few of each and sharing postage costs!

I take it that you are looking to replace your ES 100 20mm cap John? They are just not suited to the design. I swapped my diagonal cap and another hard plastic one that I had with the 2 soft caps that came with my ES monsters.

I take it that you are looking to replace your ES 100 20mm cap John? They are just not suited to the design. I swapped my diagonal cap and another hard plastic one that I had with the 2 soft caps that came with my ES monsters.

I had a spare hard plastic 2" cap so thats replaced the ES supplied one. I need another 2" cap for another eyepiece though.

Just had a nice quick response from Bernard @ MA:

Firstly I can supply pretty much anything TS offers, so yes.

Secondly the caps I already supply are soft in the 1.25” size but more rigid in the 2” size, where it’s needed, I even have a few translucent ones.

If people email / ‘phone me I can probably sort them out.

Best wishes

Bernard Karpinski

Modern Astronomy

Tel: 0208 763 9953

http://www.modernastronomy.com

http://www.facebook.com/ModernAstronomy

FLO used to sell all sorts of threaded caps, male and female, 2" and T-thread etc. Maybe they will come back?

TS displays prices incuding 19% VAT. Nothing apart from shipping is added to that.

/Jesper

Sorry I'm late to this thread - I have sourced replacement caps from Moss Express. They do wholesale caps (& other plastic bits), but you can get 2 free samples of each. I hope that posting here doesn't put them out of business :embarrassed:

http://www.mossexpress.co.uk/tube-end-caps---short-405935 These are the best :icon_salut: The 31.7mm and 50.3mm diameter ones of these fit 1.25" & 2" fittings. The 38mm are pretty good for standard plossl tops. Only in red, though.

http://www.mossexpress.co.uk/flexicaps---sr-1044-type-1-737647They also do the vinyl teat caps - The 31.7mm will fit nicely on the top end of a circle-T ortho, as well as 1.25" fittings.

http://www.mossexpress.co.uk/heavy-duty-pipe-caps-414200 I have also just received some of these hard yellow caps. They look very good, but I will only be able to try them out tonight.

There are also tapered plugs, threaded plugs etc.

Archived