Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A complimentary CAT

I've jumped ship from the world of GOTO Cats to manual alt az mounts and refractors but with only a 120mm TAK TSA the globular clusters are really poor from my light polluted garden.

I'm using the Skywatcher Skytee 2 mount that in theory will allow me to mount two scopes and I'm thinking of adding an SCT so that I can have the best of both worlds.

Although I could theoretically invest back into the CPC, Nexstars etc I'm actually enjoying finding my targets so I'm thinking about just the OTA option at the moment.

With that in mind what SCT size and model would you suggest to

A) simultaneously compliment the TAK views

B) really bring the globulars to life

C) be manageable on the Skytee2 mount with the TAK

Thanks

The specs list 15kg each scope on the Skytee 2, so you'd be best keeping it to C9.25 or smaller. I'm not sure how important balancing the weight on each side if the mount might be, if at all.

I find the globs can be quite satisfying in a C8, especially under a decently dark sky, but I could never argue against greater aperture :cool:

Hi Seiko

This is a relly interesting thread for me. I've been thinking along the same lines as you for a few months now with the intention of augmenting my fracs with the purchase of a cat to mount on my skytee. I am also considering an 8" Ritchey Cretien scope which I have read has no lens and so has a faster cool down time. It also has a shorter FL to the C8 and so shows a larger chunk of sky for any given eyepiece. It is touted as being great for AP work but I'm not sure how good it is as a visual scope. Can anyone with experience chime in with a comparison between a C8 and 8" RC for purely visual, is it worth the extra 100 or so quid?

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation-8--RC-Optical-Tube-Assembly-OTA.html

Hits eve, yes that looks interesting. I still can't decide what option to go for. The frac gives nice wide field so I kind of want a light bucket. The C11 is big though and I'm not sure the skytee will work well with such a long fl and heavy cat?

the 8 is nice but I've had a few 8" cats before and although much better than the frac for dso I wonder if the next sizes up will be better?

I think the C11 would definitely be a stretch IMO. Not just the weight, but the focal length...you'd need a good finder scope and have it aligned accurately with the main scope. Also the slow motion controls would need to be really good :D

Hi, yes I had an Edge 8 but before I had a chance to use it I went down another path. I had a CPC 11 Deluxe as well but it developed a board fault so had to back. With the awful weather we had I didn't get to use either in anger so can't say how they performed. My previous CPC 800 and Nexstar 8i views were years and years ago so agin, I can't remember how the globular clusters looked. I do remember them being a lot brighter than my 5i and TAK though.

May be the answer is the edge 8 as that goes with the mount and when/if Celestron ever make a quiet CPC 1100 I can get one of those.

You should get along to a meet of a local astro group where someone has one of the models to demonstrate, as each persons expectations are different and you don't seem to have a lot of luck ... so good luck with your choice :)

Just a quick update, I've gone with a regular 9.25 and will report how the skytee 2 copes. Hopefully it's the goldilocks between the C8 and C11 noting its very similar in size to the C11.

Fingers crossed the focal length of 2350 on the manual alt az isn't too troublesome?

Seiko, if you can make it to Seething (NR35 2EQ) Chris Grimmer has a 9.25 , but on an EQ mount, is a friendly group and good skies. If you use Twitter he is @Chris_Grimmer.

Chris Greenfield

Pick a good evening (clear skies) and you'll have a great time, warning, if you bring your tak, there'll be one or two who would love to have a look through - there's a couple of Televue's, William Optics etc, Andrew when he turns up has an early Vixen that is no longer made, that is superb to look through. As is his 24" Dobsonian!

Site is at http://nas.gurney.or...events/club.htm be "warned" that we have "working parties" in the summer and this Friday is one, where until it's dark we'll be tidying and diy'ing.

Tweet me @chris_greenf or email chrisjgreenfield@gmail.com if / when you come and I'll look out for you

Archived