Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A first try at Ha, NGC 6888, Taking the first steps

lensman57

Hi,

Further to my last post and the help and advice from the good people of the forum, last night I decided to give my seconhand Atik 16IC and a Baader 35nm Ha filter a try as the sky was very hazy so I knew I'asking for trouble if I went for colour. It is a stack of 12 subs 600s and 2 subs of 1200s, 6 darks, bias and flats were used as the 16IC does require dark frames. The scope was a StarWave 80mm F7 ED, and EQ5 pro pHD guiding. Stacking in DSS ,StarTools and CS2. Hope that you approve and please give advice as I am really taking the first steps in AP.

Many Thanks and Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-53534800-1373714155_thumb.j

This is a great start - the only negative I would put to this is that I suspect you have been using a sharpening tool and have perhaps overcooked it slightly resulting in dark halos around the stars. Sharpening has its place but needs to be carried out sparingly to keep a natural appearance. Apart from that, it's good and close in, well guided and showing a lot of promise. You should be pleased.

This is a great start - the only negative I would put to this is that I suspect you have been using a sharpening tool and have perhaps overcooked it slightly resulting in dark halos around the stars. Sharpening has its place but needs to be carried out sparingly to keep a natural appearance. Apart from that, it's good and close in, well guided and showing a lot of promise. You should be pleased.

Thank you Steve for your kiind words. I have started using StarTools and have not as yet learnt how to set a decent mask. I may try and leave all the sharpening for PS untill Ii know what I am doing with ST. Great book BTW.

Regards,

A.G

Hi,

Following the advice from Olly and Steve, I reprocessed this image, I think that it an improvement over the original process. I have tried very hard to maintain the nebulasity and avoid the halos around the stars but preserve the detail. Hope that you agree.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-90685700-1373742595_thumb.j

Archived