Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bluestar Bluetooth adapter - finally arrived !

jarbi

Hi Everyone,

Some months ago I have promised in one of the posts here to write a review about the Starry Night Bluestar adapter. My first adapter was defected, and it took 5 months :embarassed: to get a replacement. But now it is here and working, so time to write about it.

My goal is to use it as a quick control via Bluetooth from Astomist on my pocket PC. The new v2.5.4 version supports Skyscan EQ6 directly, and capable to perform Goto-s, follow the position of the mount on the skychart etc.

This is how it's look like:

2589_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I have mounted it with the delivered welcros on the back side of the hand controller so that I can use the HC and the pocket PC alternatively to control the mount.

The Bluestar is connected to the serial port of the HC as you can see below.

2591_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2592_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2593_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I have paired it with my Windows Mobile pocket PC, and assigned a free COM port to it - ready to go !

1. I have opened Astromist, and i have selected the proper driver for EQ6, selected the proper COM port (Com8 in my case ) and 'Persistant' connection.

2594_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2. I started the skychart, and made some test Goto-s. This was just a 'room test', it is raining like hell outside since a couple of days :icon_jokercolor: .

I have uploaded a small video, captured from the screen of the pocket pc, you can find it here:

The feature I will use the most is probably the "skychart control" in Astromist. This enables to perform goto-s directly on the chart, and it also follows the position of the mount when used with the HC ( Bluestar connected ).

Apparently there are some 'hickups' , but the bluetooth connection is recovering within 2-3 seconds after an eventual 'break'. I didn't see major lags on the Pocket Pc, so I think it will be convenient enough to use it :rolleyes:.

Hopefully I can do a 'real' test soon, and I will append it to this report.

cheers,

Janos

Sorry to tell you this now, you can buy a bluetooth to serial adapter from CPC for £29 pounds that will do the same thing as the Bluestar interface. There is nothing special about the Bluestar control except that it plugs directly into the mount handset. The Adapter I mentioned gives you effectively the same connection as a PCs 9 way D-Type port. All that you have to do is configure the adapter for the correct baud rate of the mount and pair the bluetooth adapter with your PC or PDA.

Regards,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

I had a look and the CPC is really a neat device, but for me it is anyway too late ;-).

What I see as an advantage on the Bluestar that I don't need external power/cable to connect, just two AA batteries. But the price of the CPC is very attractive !

regards,

Janos

• 1 year later...

Sorry to barge in, but will the bluetooth to serial adapter from CPC, work with the EQMOD? As I have an Asus EeePC with a built in bluetooth adaptor. I have already set up the EQMOD and its working fine with the appropriate shoestring adaptor.

Thank you.

Archived