Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

July 2, 2013 (12:35-13:15): Lovely lunch session with prom waving at us

I set up the scope during lunch (which tend to be extended a bit, what with so many people wanting to have a look), and had another bash at H-alpha observing. The sun was much the same in terms of activity as during my early morning attempt, but the little bulge I spotted extending from near the large sunspot close to the eastern rim started growing during the session. I and five PhD students took turns at looking at this feature grow and change shape. After an initial simple bulge, it seemed to develop into a shallow arch, Closer inspection showed a thin filament attached to the limb at the southern end of the arch, and pointing away from the limb at a 30-40o angle. The northern end of the arch seemed to detach, and point away from the sun, only to collapse back and form two arches, which slowly seemed to merge. Finally the northern end detached again and we were left with a single strand pointing at about 40o away from surface. To the south, a large but faint prom could also be seen.

It was quite fascinating to watch this progression, and I hope to be able to pick up some more of the action later.

That same region was extremely active at around 16.30-16.45 GMT, not long after I got home from work and set up the scope (and shortly before the clouds came across). A large and bright prom developed quickly, with a narrow and concentrated stem extending perpendicular to the surface, and flaring out towards the end. Within 10-15 minutes, much of the initial concentration had dissipated, and it was collapsing back over a wide area. Quite an amazing sight, especially considering this was only my third chance to do some solar Ha observing with the new scope. I wasn't quite prepared for how fast those things move!

As from Friday the skies are clearing here and I'm so looking forward to getting the Lunt out into the

garden.

I took it out on Sunday when the family were here and one of the highlights of any type of astronomy is

sharing the experience with others and seeing them have that 'wow' moment.

As from Friday the skies are clearing here and I'm so looking forward to getting the Lunt out into the

garden.

I took it out on Sunday when the family were here and one of the highlights of any type of astronomy is

sharing the experience with others and seeing them have that 'wow' moment.

Best of luck Sally,

It is looking decent for tomorrow, less so for Friday, but Saturday and beyond look very good indeed.

That same region was extremely active at around 16.30-16.45 GMT, not long after I got home from work and set up the scope (and shortly before the clouds came across). A large and bright prom developed quickly, with a narrow and concentrated stem extending perpendicular to the surface, and flaring out towards the end. Within 10-15 minutes, much of the initial concentration had dissipated, and it was collapsing back over a wide area. Quite an amazing sight, especially considering this was only my third chance to do some solar Ha observing with the new scope. I wasn't quite prepared for how fast those things move!

Very interesting report, thanks. I could not follow up the lunchtime session due to clouds. The sun is just amazingly dynamic, isn't it

Archived