Viewing List??

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use to make lists, but since i got the goto mount, i dont tend too anymore. I think in that sense, goto has taken away the enjoyment for me. I do plan to either buy a 200 dob, or to make a dob base for my 200p (probably best to buy as my DIY skills are.. Well, what skills :p).

When using a manual mount, lists were very important to me to stay focussed on what i want to find, and not just go back to what i know how to find.

If I'm planning to spend a significant time for observing, I always prepare the list. I also try to list the objects in a sequence I want to observe (close to each other), so it saves time moving the scope from one side of the sky to the other. By doing so I have noticed that I can observe more objects and it's much more enjoyable.

With or without goto I tend to have a list of some sort, even if it is called a book.

As I do not know every Messier, Caldwell, Hershel or NGC object floating around at any one time.

Even with a goto you have to have an idea what to look at - there are only so many tours available.

I usually make lists, but it's not always that I stick to them. But I'm trying to find at least a few of the objects I've got on them. Sometimes I forget to use the scope and enjoy the view with binos or by naked Eye.

I try to do a list, or I'll end up doing the usual suspects.

Usually this is constellation based so that in a year's time I can look back. I keep these annotated lists with notes of magnification and what is seen or missed !

Some nights though it makes a refreshing change jus to sit back and scan by eye or low power binoculars.All for which we'd llike clear skies,

Nick.

Archived