NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Crescent Nebula & first light with Lumicon oiii

The cloud broke about 12am last night so I wheeled out the 16" lightbridge to test my new Lumicon oiii filter.

Before the Lumicon I owned the Castell oiii and to be honest I never had much luck with it, hence the upgrade.

I started with my 40mm paragon eyepiece (which i use as a finder eyepiece) lined my finder up on Deneb and then edged right.

About two eyepiece widths across, bang, there was the crescent, and it was amazing!

The top edge is the easiest part to see, it looks like two wings outstretched and I had managed this with the Castell but with the Lumicon I could see the filaments and the whole structure very clearly and didn't need averted visions at all. It was just there!

I then upped the power to a 26mm and this improved the picture even more. Slightly darker sky giving more contrast to the object.

As a quick test I switched filters to my Castell UHC and sadly it all but disappeared, the faintest of top edge with averted vision.

So in summary, I'm very happy with the new filter, yes it is expensive compared to others, but from this first light (unless I got incredibly lucky with the seeing last night) I have to say it makes a big difference.

Roll on another clear light to try it on more of the summer nebula!!!

Well done Si, you sound like a happy chappy. I guess sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and shell out the dosh!!

Be interesting how my Orion OIII stands up against your Lumicon, in fact, will be nice to get a chance to even use mine.

An O-III certainly brings this object out. Must be a pretty cool view through your 16" scope.

Look forward to reading about your filter shoot out ;)

The weather and short nights may put this on hold a while though me thinks.

Me and Mel (Astro baby) have been trying to do a three way eyepiece shoot out for a while now (between the ES 30mm, Pentax 30mm and Nagler 31mm) but the conditions of late have made it impossible :(

Nice report - I'd like to get the Crescent in the FoV of my 12" Orion Optics dobs with the Astronomik O-III filter in place :smiley:

I've found O-III filters noticeably more effective on planetary nebulae and supernovae remnants than UHC's so perhaps your experience of the difference between the Lumicon O-III and the Castell UHC reflects the O-III "edge" on these types of objects rather than anything particularly wrong with the Castell UHC.

Cygnus is a rich hunting ground with a good narrowband filter and a wide field eyepiece :smiley:

Cheers Steve, think you might be right on the weather :sad:

I'd be very interested in your 30mm shoot out, I like the look of the ES 30mm given it's price and FOV but having gone to the green side with two delos eyepieces myself (12mm & 17mm) and having a peek through Alan's 27mm panoptic, I wonder if ES can match up, especially to a Naglar? In my opinion so far Televue seen to give a better contrast right across their range but I will keep an eye out for your report/opinion!!

Thanks John, before I had the 16" LB I had a C925 and managed the crescent with that and the Castell UHC so it is possible with this type of filter but, that was a very clear night.

I think you are right the oiii has the edge on this target particularly when the sky conditions are not ideal.

I didn't mention in my report that the moon was rising in the east when I was looking at it so I was very impressed with the view.

The sky is teasing tonight, looks clear at the mo here with a deep blue sky but sat24 doesn't look great. Fingers crossed!!

Hi Simon, out of interest where did u buy the lumicon. When I was looking for a lumicon uhc no one outside the states seemed to have one or knew when they were likely to get them in stock so I bought an astronomic instead (which I'm happy with by the way).

Hi Richard

I got the Lumicon because that's what TH had in stock, and from experience I know they are among the very best. I've used an Astronomik one and directly compared........nothing in it. Both are first class. My observing buddy with the astronomik, reckoned my Lumicon edged it.....I wasn't convinced. I reckon it was a dead heat. Nothing in it.

The star images were equally good in each I thought. As for what showed the most structure, I couldn't call. We swapped filters back and forth a long time using his superb 120ED and my 31mm and 20mm Naglers . It would need a better eye than I have to call this.

TBH I would be have been just as happy to go home with his filter as mine.

I will have another go at this using my larger scope soon and we shall see how they compare at really high power, I will post any findings we make.

Hi Richard

I got the Lumicon because that's what TH had in stock, and from experience I know they are among the very best. I've used an Astronomik one and directly compared........nothing in it. Both are first class. My observing buddy with the astronomik, reckoned my Lumicon edged it.....I wasn't convinced. I reckon it was a dead heat. Nothing in it.

The star images were equally good in each I thought. As for what showed the most structure, I couldn't call. We swapped filters back and forth a long time using his superb 120ED and my 31mm and 20mm Naglers . It would need a better eye than I have to call this.

TBH I would be have been just as happy to go home with his filter as mine.

I will have another go at this using my larger scope soon and we shall see how they compare at really high power, I will post any findings we make.

cheers steve, good to know, I bought mine from them at the Astrofest. Before that I was after the lumicon but they seemed to be so rare I was curious to know whether that's changed. I'm sure both makes are very good and I wouldn't hesitate to buy astronomik again. In fact because lumicon seemed to be with holding stock from Europe I'd more likely buy astronomik

I think the reason that Lumicons are thin on the ground over here is that they are only interested in shipping largish orders. Kind of shooting themselves in the foot if you ask me! It is a big outlay for the retailers I guess, when you consider the number of these they actually sell per year. A lot of cash tied up in the warehouse can't be good for business.

Si, we may not have to wait that long for the shootout, weather looks to be changing for the better end of this week.

Hi Richard, I ordered mine from the states. I did have a hunt in the UK like you with no joy. A couple of suppliers in Europe had them too.

From what I have read you will not be disappointed with the astronomic, I nearly got one of those too. Let us know how you get on with it?

Fingers crossed for the end of the week Alan!!

Archived