Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best magnification for galaxies?

although I am sure they are great eyepieces, I found the 7mm Nagler I tried somewhat uncomfortable in comparison with other eyepieces. it was a real struggle to see the whole field although I did try it many moons ago when I was not really used to wide fields. even without using a Delos, given that choice it would be the Delos for me. If willing to buy used, another option for about a little less is a 12mm Nagler T4 or for a little more a 13mm Ethos.

based on my 16mm Nagler T2 (which I got for just over £100) I'd recommend the 12mm T2 if it is similar (I think it is) as this could be obtained for maybe the same sort of sum and would be something to think about.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting thread.

I have viewed many galaxies and find that the size of the galaxy plays a big part on which eyepiece works best for me. Larger galaxies can be picked out in my 24mm lens but the fainter and smaller critters need more power.

I find that the typical mag 12 galaxy that is small (less than 5' in diameter) is easiest to see in my 6mm eyepiece which is 200x in my scope.#

These small faint galaxies just are not visible at all using the 24mm eyepiece.

Mark

Archived