Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starting from scratch - newbie

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and telescopes/astronomy in general although I have always had an interest.

I am looking to buy my first telescope but am lost as to what I should be looking for I would like to be able to do the following:-

- look at more than just planets

- be able to attach my DSLR (Nikon)

- easy to use/find planets etc.

- will grow with me and not be obsolete in two months

Now I know that probably sounds simple but I don't have any shops near me (that I know of) to go to and ask advice and have a general look and play so have managed to get completely lost in the Internet and its many opinions.

I have a budget of up to £700 maybe a little more if its worth it.

Could you please offer me advise of what I should be looking for and what I should be avoiding.

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to SGL :)

You're looking for a dual purpose scope (imaging and visual) which is a common beginners mistake. Yes you could do it for around a grand but for your budget I'd suggest looking at an observing scope only to start with. Reason is - imaging is a steep learning curve and without a basic knowledge of observing for a while you would struggle - all but the most tenacious beginners do. Astro imaging is so much more than point and shoot. Have a good read of some of the imaging discussions to make yourself fully aware of what's involved - if you're lost now - that will drive you insane lol.

To prepare for imaging in the future I'd suggest an equatorial mount - something like a CG5 or EQ5 with a Newtonian reflector on it - maybe something up to 6" (150mm) in diameter and add a right ascension tracking motor. Learn how to align and use the eq mount and spend a year learning the movement of the night sky and which objects are available and when - it's seasonal. If you're dead keen you'll soon pick it up and it'll be good experience for future imaging. You can dabble with a webcam on solar system objects meantime which is a good intro to imaging.

When you're ready you'll know exactly what to get for long exposure photography and you'll be able to trade or sell your kit for an imaging upgrade. You should get around 2/3 of the price back if you keep the gear in good condition. There will be other suggestions - this is just my preferred approach - hope it helps. :)

Something along these lines would be a good start within your stated budget:

http://www.firstligh...5-pro-goto.html

(Though you can do it a bit cheaper if you just go for a motorised mount - would leave budget for accessories)

Eventually you might be aiming for imaging with a more solid goto mount and extra aperture for dso's:

http://www.firstligh...p-heq5-pro.html

You would likely want to upgrade the dovetail and saddle on this one, as well as add a dual speed or motorised focuser. Or get the optical tube assembly (OTA) new (comes with d/s focuser) and obtain a second hand HEQ5 - you can get them in excellent working order around 1yr-18mths old for circa £500-£550.

http://www.firstligh...50p-ds-ota.html

If you get good with imaging then one of these on an NEQ6 Pro (to carry the extra weight) would be my eventual target:

http://www.firstligh...-newtonian.html

Of course we haven't mentioned refractors yet - largely because you want visual observing as well. But it's well worth considering two setups one for imaging (refractor based) and one for observing (Newtonian based) - a lot of folks do this but you'd need deep pockets. Bear in mind you will also want a second scope and camera for guiding with any long exposure photography. :)

(I've pm'd you so do check messages)

Beat it round to your nearest astronomy club and see what kit others have, if you can get along with a simple dobsonian mount (that's the cheapest) and you'll get a stonking 8 inch reflector for less than half your budget otherwise there's the 8 inch 200p eq5 with dual axis motors either way an 8 inch reflector will blow your socks off and still be fairly manageable to transport

500+ quid ;)

The more expensive one (HEQ5) comes with a sturdier mount (so it can support more weight with less wobbles), and also has GOTO (ie when aligned you can used a handset to say show-me-M3, Saturn, etc). The cheaper one could have the GOTO added later, but still wouldn't be as stable as the HEQ5.

EQ5 vs HEQ5 -> http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/122542-heq5-or-eq5/

C.

I think "better" is a hard word, as it's a question of what job you want the tube to perform for you.

Having recently been decided between these two OTAs (among others) for my first scope, I went with the 150PDS for the following reasons:

a) Lower weight was going to mean a more stable set up on any given mount (therefore hopefully "easier" photoing), and easier to transport when heading to a dark site

B) I liked the sound of the dual-speed focusser, and in practice I use it all the time, though I'm sure other people with more delicate fingers use the single speed OK. That said I believe it is easier to upgrade the focuser on the 200 tube to a fancier version later on.

c) I'd seen various references to the longer focal length OTAs being harder to bring to focus for prime focus photoing (the 200Ps are 1000mm focal length, the 150PDSs are 750mm), though I still don't *really* have a feel for what the focal length physically maps to; I should have paid more attention when being taught optics at school.

d) I wasn't fussed about the lower magnification power of the shorter focal length as my interest wasn't so much around the planetary viewing/photoing, beyond having some very satisfying looks at Saturn which I have (and can't wait for Jupiter to be in position later in the year), but lay more in the DSO end of things.

Your decision criteria may be different, of course (though the four main ones you mention were all on my list, including the Nikon DSLR - we're in a minority there!). I know what you mean about feeling lost after spending weeks, possibly months, reading around the internet, but it will give an initial understanding on the main parameters involved, and how they interact.

C.

Ooops, I missed out a line I was meaning to put in the above post which was just to say this was my 2p worth as a newbie (see my post count!) who has recently been in your position, and wasn't meant to read as advice from someone who actually knows deeply what they are talking about!

C.

I was in your position only a few weeks ago, and was looking at shelling out over 1.6K on a scope that could do everything I wanted. So to avoid spending too much on something that I may or may not get on with in 1 years time, I've bought a skywatcher evostar 90. It's fairly small, very light and easy to move around. Quick to cool down and you can see quite a lot with it.

Both will track objects if polar aligned, the cheaper EQ5 is fine for visual observing, the HEQ5 is a more substantial mount and weighs more

Sorry what ones are both? I assume the scope itself is the recommended one as that seems to not change, are other makes not that good?

Mike

The HEQ5 and EQ5 are the mounts I suggested within your budget range. If you want to look at Celestron then the CG5GT Goto is very good and falls somewhere between the EQ5 and HEQ5 Pro (better than first - not so good as the second). It's a cracking good basic goto mount but is now out of production - so you'd have to look for s/h models around £350-£400 subject to age/condition). The newer Celestron VX is a totally reengineered version of the CG5 models and considerably more advanced - but is close to £800 new and I've not seen any s/h yet.

Plus there will be other types you could consider - but give all the specs a good read first to familiarise yourself with them and make an informed choice. (eg a new SW 200PDS or 150PDS on s/h CG5GT Goto would be an equally great starter combination and maybe save you a few quid). :)

This topic almost ties in with another out at the mo.

Before you make any expensive outlay I'd reccomend buying The Backyard Astronomers Guide. It goes through individually, chapter by chapter, telescopes, eypieces, mounts, filters, accesories etc and even goes into astrophotography equipment and has star charts for DSO observing. The advice in it is invaluable and details what equipment to buy for any given budget. Its a wonderful book and a must read before any initial purchase. I've read it wice and still use it as a reference book. Its written by two very experienced astronomers and is written in a very readable way. I wish I'd bought this book at the start of my astronomy adventure rather than after a few months in. Read the reviews on this book on the following link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Backyard-Astronomers-Guide-Terence-Dickinson/dp/1554073448/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371851845&sr=1-1&keywords=backyard+astronomer%27s+guide

Archived