Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power Tank Thoughts

lardy

Hi All,

I'm sat here thinking about the price of making a high end Power Tank built around a 50Ah gel battery in a Peli case .... battery and case alone come in at £200 so its not going to be a cheap project ... is there a market? I welcome your thoughts.

Regards

Mark

I could understand making a one off high end Power Tank for your own use, but for resale ?. with quality plugs / sockets wiring and fuse blocks and such other materials, taking into account your labour costs / profit margin, this is going to shift the cost towards the £300 to £350 mark, I could well believe.

This same sort of project was undertaken by a forum member some time ago, after much consultation among the membership as to the best methods of construction and materials, a very splendid 110 Ah unit was produced at considerable cost. I think I remember seeing it for sale some time later, selling for a loss I believe to the builder.

the main question is, would it be a saleable item ?, when most are quite happy to make their own makeshift units or just use battery cable connectors, wired into a hub unit of some sort. I do not doubt that there will be those that want to have the very best and cost is no problem, IMHO I have a feeling most will want to spend their hard earned cash more into optics than a power supply :)

Not economic as a business proposition. Look at the cost of a reasonable quality item such as the ones from Ring - about £200 for a 34AH one, or a commercial grade one which will start a truck for £350 or so. I doubt that you could compete with that.

On the other hand, if you were doing it for your own purposes it would be an interesting build.

I agree with you John, and that's why I asked ... It kind of confirms what I was thinking. On the other hand the Engineer in me still wants to give it a go lol ...... 34Ah gel battery is considerably cheaper and smaller, allowing a smaller Peli case .... laser cut ali board sitting within the case anodised black, 5 water proof twist and lock connectors, engraved with max amperage, voltmeter and keyed isolation switch.....

Shall dwell on it a little longer

Archived