Solar mosaic

Leebert

Over the Bank Holiday weekend, I went for my largest solar mosaic to date. 20 panels with an original mono QHY5 and barlow nosepiece on a PST and HEQ5.

Unfortunately, every video file bar one suffered from Newton's rings - an optical interference pattern. This weekend, I experimented with different cameras to see if I could resolve the effect of Newton's rings. I finally went for a smaller 10 panel mosaic with a colour QHY5-II camera. Not ideal for solar work but I think the result turned out okay considering.

The only problem I have now is a want for greater aperture to gain more resolution. Aperture fever strikes again!

Cheers,

Lee

8950498189_057e71b629_c.jpg

Solar mosaic by MrLeebert, on Flickr

Thank you for the kind comments.

20 panel mosaic with a pst !! I commend your dedication to the cause Lee. You have more patience than I.

The original reason was to try using EQ Mosaic and see how it worked. I had a few goes at getting the field of view correct but this soon escalated into a bigger project (don't they always!). The intention was to use the area of the PST 'sweetspot' in the centre of each panel and have plenty of overlap so I could crop them down when I stitched the images together. This was the reason for the large number of mosaic panels.

Archived