Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PlainWave 17'' f/6.8 vs Starizona Hyperion 16'' f/7.3

Hi there,

Does anyone have any experience with one of these scopes so to comment on their performance, manufactures,

support etc and/or direct us to images?

We consider purchasing a high-end apparatus at that level and would be happy to hear any feedback, warnings

or suggestions.

Thanks a lot,

Romi,

Hi, Romi and welcome to the SGL.

For either of these scopes, I would expect to get a very high quality instrument.

I do not have either, but I would probably spend a lot of time deciding on the mount for which ever one you choose.

I would suggest you do not try and cut corners on the mount and the mounting arrangement, as it will likely influence the final outcome more than which of the two scopes you propose.

Good luck with your project.

Gordon.

Hi Gordon and thanks for the greetings.

We would certainly invest thoughts and consideration as for the mount selection. I have some good experience with the NEQ6 but I suspect that we would have to go one step higher with such scopes...

Thanks anyway,

Romi

Thanks for the pics billhinge,

They are impressive and increase my motivation. Can you comment on your technical experience with the 17'' planwave or their support (if you had needed it)?

Regards,

Romi

Hi Romi

I just pay and use the scopes so I have no physical interaction with them. Having said that I use a web based interface to tell them what I want to image and they do exactly what I want ;-)

I don't know if it is of interest but itelescope are now doing turn key hosting solutions, http://hosting.itelescope.net , you could be cheeky and ask them for advice on their technical experience with plane wave - guess it doesn't cost to ask ;-)

Hi billhinge,

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try to contact iTelescope on this although I trust that their perspective is a little different than a private (non-commercial) user.

Regards,

Romi

There is a Plane Wave under robotic control near me. They are popular with high end users, certainly.

If you read the Starizona description of their Hyperstar kit you find all the virtues listed but no mention of some of the difficulties - and they are plentiful. This has affected their credibility in my eyes.

The ODK/CDK is an attractive design. I use a 14 inch by Orion Optics and it is very painless to use, not sensitive to collimation, particularly.

Olly

Hi Olly,

I tend to agree with you about their credibility. This, combined with many complaint I read in SGL about their delivery times and interactions with purchasers in this regard, puts a big question mark on them as an option. Also, I find it VERY strange to realize that no images are out there taken with the Hyperion scope (aside of course from what is presented on Starizona's site) by amateurs.

Romi

Hi and welcome to SGL!

I had the opportunity to have a look at some of the Planewave products at NEAF recently, and chat to the people. These CDK's leave you with the option to go for the native f6.8 or reduce it to about f4.5 making the effective FL about 1.9 meters for the 17". The workmanship and quality of these scopes is very impressive.

For a permanent setup it is my 'dream' telescope.

Officina Stellare is another manufacturer of a wide range of systems, and well worth a look too.

/Jesper

gallery_16323_2550_349925.jpg

Hi Jessun,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Right, I collect many positive opinions about PlanWave. No Hyperion lovers. It looks as if they are stronger in my equation as for now. We'll see...

Regards,

Romi

Archived