NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice needed for an eq1

Imd

I have met my autie today to give her some help with a new tasco 114/900 luminova telescope she has bought second hand.

The mount looks like an eq1 and there are some oddities which I am not sure about and I'm wondering whether the mount was intended for a smaller aperture scope.

The rings fit the ota but between the rings part of the mount protrudes into the barrel of the ota so badly that there are dents in the scope

I also noticed that the weight supplied does not counter balance the scope. This makes me think that it's either missing a weight, it's a different ota than that supplied with the mount or tasco supply telescopes which are not expected to balance :)

i don't wish to create any further dents in the scope.

I don't suppose there are many with experience of tasco scopes and this one was not purchased with my recommendation. Please could you offer any kind advice for using the eq1?

Pic to follow

thanks Ian

It is almost impossible to tell without seeing the actual set up. However, It does sound like your aunt has bought a hybrid of some form, it is probably best to use it a point and go for looking at the moon.

Hope this helps :smiley:

Apologies for the delay, the campsite I was staying at had wifi but the bandwidth was really low.

Thank you for your response Pig.

I have attached an image showing the protusion.

I appreciate that this is one of those low end telescopes with promises of huge magnifications but I dont want to discourage my Aunt's interest and when the mount has been causing dents in the ota, its not very encouraging. I think I have managed to attach the OTA without causing any futher indentation by simply not screwing the rings too tightly together.

I suppose that this telescope has been delivered to the original owner in a flat pack and whilst I have refitted missing washers and tightened the loose screws here and there, it makes me wonder whether the scope and mount was orignally assembled incorrectly, although I can't see how.

I have just noticed the following

http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557

The ebay item does not appear to show the same protrusion in the images and there is certainly one weight.

Though I can't see how my Aunt's mount has been incorrectly assembled, any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks for looking at my post.

Regards

Ian

post-24711-0-63450500-1370213488_thumb.j

Try fitting the rings the other side of the saddle. That is, so the rectanglar section of the ring comes on top of the saddle, not with the end of the saddle inside it. The bolt may have to go in the other way around.

James

Thanks for the pic Helite. I haver to admit the instructions were still with the scope but I found them to be complete gibberish. I'm glad you worked them out ok :)

Regards

Ian

Archived