Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New telescope

Hi all

Been a while since I have been on here, but am looking for a bit of advice. I currently have a sky watcher 250 do, however it is getting used less and less due to its size. Therefore i am selling it and looking to get something more portable.

I have been looking at the celestron 6se and skyprodigy 6? Does anyone have experience of both that could suggest the best one. Or possiably a simular alternative.

Also I remember there being a for sale section, but can't see it now

The classifieds got changed such that you need 50 posts to see and 250 to place an ad. I see you are coming up as 52 posts, so would expect it to be visible, perhaps you couldn't see it a couple of posts back and have gone over the magic number now.

Cannot help on the scope selection, other then to say get the one that you first thought of. As good a selection criteria as any and likely better then most.

Hi all

Been a while since I have been on here, but am looking for a bit of advice. I currently have a sky watcher 250 do, however it is getting used less and less due to its size. Therefore i am selling it and looking to get something more portable.

I have been looking at the celestron 6se and skyprodigy 6? Does anyone have experience of both that could suggest the best one. Or possiably a simular alternative.

Also I remember there being a for sale section, but can't see it now

To sell something u need at least 250 posts I think.

Steve

Given the choice between the Celestron 6SE and the Sky Prodigy...............the 6SE would be my choice. There is something about the prodigy i dont like. I think it is a load of overpriced faff.

In saying that, i'd like to see it for myself and how well it works. The technology it uses may very well become standard across all Go-To scopes in the near future.

Thanks for the reply guys. Just to throw it in the mix, would a skywatcher 127 be a comparitable telescope?

Also I have a dslr which I would mind try to use to image very basically. Would the 6se be ok for this?

Celestron 6SE there is no competition.

The Sky Prodigy is based on the flimsy SLT mount. Barely good enough for the 127 and doesn't even come close to the 6/8 SE mount used in the C6 SE. And since I mentioned the 127 SLT, no it is not comparable to the 6SE, it two steps down. The 127 SLT is basically a cheap version of the smaller 5SE on a weaker mount. In terms of optics, the 127 maksutov has narrower field of view than the C5, but other than that they are are comparable. The SLT mount vs the 4/5 SE mount is another story. The SLT mount uses a lot of plastic and has a very weak tripod that is unstable and easy to break, the 4/5 SE is much better built mechanically.

When the Celestron Starsense accessories hit the market next month. A C6 SE with Starsense will do everything the Sky Prodigy can do, but on a far better mount.

Archived