Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Strathspey Binoculars

Well ........

finally took the plunge after lots of searching and reading, I ordered the Strathspey 15x70 binoculars yesterday and am keeping my fingers crossed they arrive before Saturday (birthday) or I,m in trouble off the wife as they are a gift from her.

Really looking forward to receiving them and trying them out although not the darkest of skies this time of the year.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who also owns them and possibly share their experiences/thoughts.

First clear skies I will give them a trial run and report back.

George

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you get some clear weather soon. Having recently found "The Binocular Sky" website with its recommendations, the link to those Strathspey 15x70's and the current price is mighty tempting!

Looking forward to hearing your report and review. Clear skies!

Mark

They seem to be good quality for their price, nice and crisp image, I have not really had the chance to use them yet but will report back when able.

I need to do some homework as to how to use them properly, it amazes me when you look with the naked eye at a constellation and you know the rough whereabouts of an object you want to view but then when looking through the bins you loose your target as hundreds of more stars appear ?

Hopefully some guidence on here will help.

15x70 bins take a bit of getting used to, but practice makes perfect. Start out on constellations with really bright stars, or those away from the milky way. Alternatively, use them in "trawler mode": rather than hunt for specific objects, trawl the skies and see what pops up in the FOV. That can be great fun.

the link to those Strathspey 15x70's and the current price is mighty tempting!
Found this yesterday: Same binocular, just lots cheaper:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00BI087JC/1944 The included tripod adaptor is utter rubbish, but you can stabilise it with a decaptitated 6mm bolt (or similar) araldited into the recess on each side.

Alternatively, use them in "trawler mode": rather than hunt for specific objects, trawl the skies and see what pops up in the FOV. That can be great fun.
Really fun! The Ophiuchus (& surrounding constellations) region is fruitful at this time of year. Come late summer, Cassiopeia/Perseus/Camelopardalis is very fruitful. The issue is not being able to find stuff, it's identifying all the stuff you do find.

Found this yesterday: Same binocular, just lots cheaper:

http://www.amazon.co...B00BI087JC/1944 The included tripod adaptor is utter rubbish, but you can stabilise it with a decaptitated 6mm bolt (or similar) araldited into the recess on each side.

Really fun! The Ophiuchus (& surrounding constellations) region is fruitful at this time of year. Come late summer, Cassiopeia/Perseus/Camelopardalis is very fruitful. The issue is not being able to find stuff, it's identifying all the stuff you do find.

I let my eldest trawl through Sco/Sag/Oph, with a cheapo 15x70 on a tripod, and asked him to show me anything unusual ("anything that doesn't look like a star" were my words). I would then help him identify the stuff with my star atlas. His Messier count hit 17 in just that one session. He even picked up a fairly faint NGC open cluster between two bright Messiers (M8 and M17, if memory serves). Huge fun.

Archived