NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron power tank

The Celestron spec says 12v 1.5A, slewing in both axis is 900mA. idle is 340mA.

Seems to imply that it should be happy with something that supplies 1.5A therefore.

I would therefore go for at least 2 Amp and preferably 3 Amp, there are reports of every goto not liking low voltage or current.

One thing to be aware of is that the scope will most likely run a power pack down and once they are drained thet are damaged - the standard lead acid batteries used in them are not designed to be drained, then the power pack is useless. The heavy duty one may mean you do not drain so it remains usable.

The problem being that on a good night people stay out using a scope until the scope stops through lack of power, that means drained and a damaged power pack.

What many do is build their own from a proper deep cycle battery.

Any advice on the normal or heavy duty powertank to drive a cpc 1100?

Thanks,

Matt

Don't buy the Celestron/Skywatcher ones get one from Maplin. Far cheaper and better. Just plugs in and will last long enough to consider building your own if you want to do that.

However my Maplin tank has lasted two years so far.

I've been using a series of 20Ah gel cell batteries to drive all my cameras, spectroscopes, mounts etc etc for the past seven years.

They are still as good as new. Those, and the triple stage electronic charger, have MORE than paid for themselves......

I use the 12ah 'jump starter with compressor' from maplins, ok it's not going to run an imaging setup but for running a goto mount for a session it does the job, holds its charge very well between uses, I last charged it 5 weeks ago and it still showing full charge. It has 2 cigarette lighter type outputs and a USB port.

halfords have some very blingy power packs, pricey and I've no idea how good they are but specs look good.

Archived