NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 4631 - The whale nebula

WaveSoarer

After using my binoculars to view the conjunction of Venus, Jupiter and Mercury, which were particularly clear last night and were visible naked eye for a while, I set up my telescope to have a hunt for the whale nebula (NGC 4631). I used a star hop from the apex of Coma Berenicise, gamma Com, up to the pair of bright stars (HIP 61309 and HIP 61320). From there I tracked at right angles to the line of this pair (towards the left) using my 32 mm EP and the main scope rather than the finder. I used the mount's slow motion controls (mainly RA) checking my path with reference to background stars (which aren't labelled in Stellarium sadly) until I found myself in the right region. The star HIP 62199 was also visible at the edge of the field of view and was a good visual marker for the fainter stars that indicated the position of NGC 4631 itself. As it was about half ten and the sky was still fairly bright as it was not that long after sunset and the moon was just starting to come up, I wasn't expecting to see much if anything. However, I was surprised to find that there was indeed a faint linear smudge. It was only a little more obvious with the higher magnification of the my 20 mm and 15 mm EPs. I was really pleased to see this galaxy though before it disappears behind the neighbour's house until next year. It was also satisfying that it was actually worth getting the telescope up even though the sky wasn't likely to be all that dark. I may also have spotted its companion, NGC 4627, but this may have been wishful thinking on my part.

I later went over to M102, which is one of the Messier galaxies I hadn't had the chance to view yet. It, by contrast, was quite stunning - even as the sky was now gradually brightening due to the rising moon. The best view was with my 10 mm EP and this allowed me to pick out a clear oval shape neatly framed by a pair of close-in faint stars at approximately the 12 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions.

Archived