Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hutech IDAS v Astronomik CLS

ian_bird

Hi all

Sorry if this has been asked before - looked for it - but too common a search term to get a decent hit on it.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which is better - Hutech IDAS P2 Light Pollution Suppression Filter or

Astronomik CLS CCD Filter (IR Blocked)?

I have the latter. Is the former worth investing in - or are they pretty much the same?

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers!

Ian

PS - One thread we won't see Olly on. He does not know what LP is!

PPS - I know my way around the night sky.... ish. Until I went to Olly's place. I could not even find Polaris. Too many stars!

Both are good in terms of their LP suppression. I am no expert but it depends on what you are thinking longer term so here are my thoughts....

If you are staying with DSLR then the Astronomik CLS is a good choice; fit it to your DSLR and if this camera is solely for imaging you can fit and forget. A nice solution. However you can't port that to a Astro CCD such as an Atik if you get one later in your AP career (you'll be able to flog it easily enough though). That point in your AP career comes quicker than you may think!

I have the 2" IDAS and it is very, very good. Brilliant in fact. Imaging giants such as Steppenwolf really rate this and if such luminaries as he say its good, you can be assured it is good. Also this offers some options to use with a Astro CCD at a later date if you go that route.

Have a think.....!

You wont be disappointed. It is a super device! An investment I am hoping to continue to reap value from when I step into CCD imaging soon too.

EDIT: One point to note - I was rather astonished at how cheaply this expensive filter was packed and how it arrived considering it is a £170 investment. Nothing to do with the dealer - its how it is packed by the manufacturer. It arrived in a circular plastic holder in a small cardbard box. No instructions, leaflets, guidance or anything else which rather surprised me at that price point. Just so you know when it arrives!

Archived