Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Balancing a skywatcher EQ80 using the L bracket Mount

Hi

The equinox ED80 is supplied with an L shaped bracket for camera tripod mount.

Is it possible to mount the skywatcher dovetail bar first to a camera tripod ?

then insert the L bracket into a dovetail bar, position and tighten?

This way the EQ80 can be balanced easily on a camera tripod?

(or does the L shaped bracket not fit/slide in a dovetail bar provided)

would this work?

Thanks

steve

Hi,

Its an horizon 8115 heavy duty, no cameras to add to focuser weight, just wondering where the L bracket positions the centre of gravity, and if this L bracket can be used with a specific saddle to shift the centre of gravity?

Thanks

Steve

I have an Equinox 80 and the short foot means that you do not have a lot of movement in the dovetail clamp to get the balance right, the c of g appears to be near to the rear of the foot when I have my diagonal fitted.

You could fasten the foot to a conventional dovetail as it has two screw threads, this would allow correct balancing but might look weird. As an alternative you could get tube rings and a dovetail and dispense with the foot altogether.

Finally i'm not familiar with the 8115 but I note that it weighs just under 4kg, I have just weighed my scope, 2" diagonal and ep and it came to 4.6kg, perhaps you will be overdoing it with this combination?

Thanks for the info, I'm building my knowledge on which grab and go scope (no greater than 80mm) to buy in the future, and was trying to utilise my horizon 8115 heavy duty camera tripod!

One option is to are to buy a mini giro head which would cost about £220 and fit it to the horizon 8115.

However my latest idea is to buy a skywatcher ed80 pro package £500 ish and a new alt alz tripod either a mini porta or az4 tripod (aluminum). (£170)

(mini porta looks good with slow gear control)

(I believe the equinox eq80 and ed80 pro have same the optics quality)

Thanks

Steve

I think a proper AZ or EQ mount will serve you far better than a camera tripod, I'm not sure how anyone could seriously use one for astronomy. Around the £200 mark for a decent mount with tripod, the Vixen Porta II looks good, though I've never owned a manual AZ.

Archived