NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where to buy 'Nifty Fifty' from?

Naemeth

I've managed to save the cash for a nifty fifty lens (Canon 50mm F/1.8 Mk-II Lens) and want some opinions on where I should get it from? The various options I've looked at are either importing from Hong Kong / Malaysia (~£65 not including taxes), from London Camera Exchange / MPB Photographic (~£74) or new from somewhere like Wex (£84, has the advantage of being local).

Obviously saving money would certainly be a bonus, but I'm not sure of the best place to get it from, so some advice would be appreciated.

Simply electronics sell them at about £75. I have bought from them with no problem but read very mixed reviews. I tend to use Wex, who have been good from my experience.

I messed about for a few days trying to win auctions on ebay with no joy. Fortunately enough, my local camera store had a one day sale on and i picked it up for £70.

Saving a few quid is always good, but for the sake of trying before you buy, and no delivery time etc, i wouldnt mind paying an extra fiver or so for the service of a local store.

Just arrived back with my Canon 50mm F/1.8 :D. Looks much nicer than the Kit 18-55mm Lens and boy is it fast! A test image was pretty darn sharp at F/2.5, certainly much better than the 18-55mm at that FL. I'm one happy chap!

Archived