Help! My telescope is full of wine!

Siriusmeg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello

Hope there's no lasting damage.

Many years ago I remember my dad was fermenting some red wine in the

airing cupboard and somehow it exploded.

My mum was not very happy as you can imagine red wine over all our bedding

and towels it looked like a murder scene.

She can laugh about it now, its only taken 30 years.

Dave

About three years ago, I made a very active Weitzen beer and bottled it in a hurry before I went on holiday. Before fermentation had completed... Doh..!

On returning from holiday, I was sitting in my office on a warm afternoon, when a sound not unlike a grenade in the room next door, made me nearly soil myself....

On careful investigation I discovered I now had 50 brown pint glass bottles, all on a hair trigger........ The bottles were made from light weight glass (as they all now are) so the top was the strongest part.

Donning face visor, gloves and apron (I'm a H&S consultant don't you know), I gingerly placed all the bottles in to crates, covered them in ply and placed them outdoors.

These could then only be drunk on the coldest of days (sub zero) when they were at their least hazardous. Each was opened with care, while wearing safety glasses and gloves.

Cracking beer, if a little hazardous.

I reckon I lost about 50% through 'explosion'.

I'm sure all home-brewers have had a few like that. I've definitely had one batch in screw-top bottles where I had to crack the top by the smallest amount and then come back to it half an hour later after the hissing stopped :)

I had some rather excitable elderflower champagne in grolsch bottles one year, too. I always opened those outdoors :D

James

Thanks everybody for your helpful suggestions and your humour - scope is looking much better and OH and I are speaking again :grin:

At least it's cloudy while the scope waits to be put back together again!

Archived