Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Have I stumbled across a comet ?

shifter

I was out dodging the clouds last night (21st/22nd) and I just managed to get one sub of NGC 2537 (the bear paw galaxy in Lynx) much to my disgust and when I looked closer at it there seems to be a comet like object to the left of the galaxy. I realise this is only one sub (120 sec @ iso 800) but I don't think it is a satellite or a meteor. Does anyone know if there is a comet in the vicinity of this galaxy Or am I just seeing things..... I will be out at the first opportunity to see if this object shows up again.

.....Brian.....

2438_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Brian,

I had a look on some planetarium software I have at work (Celestron The Sky), I think you may have got an image of IC2233 - Galaxy. The multimedia image shown when i click on this image looks very similar.

Does anyone else agree with this?

RB

Accordion to Starry Night, IC2233 is magnitude 13, whereas NGC 2537 is 16.1. However, on your image, it appears it's the other way round. Also, I can't quite match up the star field... Sorry, just checked again, and the star pattern matches perfectly :( Definitely IC2233.

Andrew

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll remember to consult starry night in future if I find anything that I'm not sure of although it was a late night last night and tiredness was taking its toll so the easiest thing was to post it and see what you all thought. Oh btw its looking good for tonight in the Sheffield area, clear skys have been forecast (so that means its gonna be wall to wall clouds lol). Clear sky to all.

.....Brian.....

Archived