Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where new scopes go to die...

A friend of mine dropped by with her niece, just before Christmas. I mentioned that I had been out the night before, looking through my scope, and the conversation followed along to the niece's mother having a scope that she didn't know how to use. I invited her to see mine. Yes, her mother's was like mine, but smaller.

What can she see through it? Nothing.

OK, when she tries to look through it, is this end pointing down, or up? Down.

Turns out this poor, innocent woman had turned the finder scope the wrong way on her 3" Newt, and left the lens cap on, and presumed she was somehow supposed to see out the bottom end of the scope. I showed the young lady the way the scope should point, and the light path of the scope, and on Christmas Eve my friend told me that I had been very helpful.

She had the scope for a couple of years, and had just given up. It's not unusual to see a Newt set up wrongly, in just this way. The store sample in the store where I bought mine was set up backwards, and I have seen it in two or three other camera shops and things. An interest in astronomy is a terrible thing to waste. Bad enough they are buying a junk scope...

Turns out this poor, innocent woman had turned the finder scope the wrong way on her 3" Newt, and left the lens cap on, and presumed she was somehow supposed to see out the bottom end of the scope. I showed the young lady the way the scope should point, and the light path of the scope, and on Christmas Eve my friend told me that I had been very helpful.

At least she was prepared to listen.  In my experience, many (usually men) would prefer to think the kit was duff than take advice!

Steve

My scope went to die about 3 years ago but for a diffrent reason, I was playing guitar in a semi pro duo, and new had the time, when I got back to it the mirrors had to be re coated then I decided to buy the refractor. Now I just have a lack of money and clear Sky's stopping me :clouds2:

As for other people cheap reflectors are far from a blessing, better of to get a cheap refractor on a altrazenth mount. You cant go too far wrong.

Archived