Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A bunch of home observatories...

emadmoussa

Another DIY possibility is some type of modified eco dome, Calearth have a relatively straightforward dome building system using bags of stabilised lime/cement with local soil. http://calearth.org/...s/eco-dome.html Looks as if it would keep costs to a minimum and could be done buy you and a couple of buddies for the most part. Surely there would be a way to modify the design for a roof that opens?

Any structural engineers think that not completing the full dome would compromise the build, and what if anything could be done to stabilise it?

Aren't they designed for mass like keeping aircraft noise at bay in special classrooms under Heathrow's flight path?? Mass you don't need for a cylindrical wall and hemispherical dome - trust me :police:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they were originally designed as abodes for Moon & Mars colonies but the went on as a low cost and effort build as refugee shelters and now have taken off as a home design.

I'm sure it can be modified in one way or another but I like the simplicity of the whole thing.

Archived