Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyFi for Sky Safari on an AZ-EQ6 GT mount - alternative?

Hi All,

Just wondering if there is a cheaper, easy to configure alternative to Skyfi available anywhere?

I love SkySafari and my new AZ-EQ6 GT Skywatcher mount but I don't want to have to pay £150 to establish a WiFi link between my ipad and the mount. I'd also prefer to get the mount to join my home WiFi network so I can access the internet from the ipad while controlling the mount as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Bluetooth can be used with Sky Safari to control the mount, there's a thread somewhere on SGL with all the bits n bobs required and instructions how to get it working, hope this helps :)

I am curious if you had any issues with the directional arrows. I have the Orion StarSeek and when I tried controlling the mount with my iPad, I could not get (as I recall) the "East" RA arrow to function although the slews and other arrows worked. I and someone else reported it to Southern Stars back at the end of last year and I never heard a resolution to it.

JohnD

• 1 year later...

I am curious if you had any issues with the directional arrows. I have the Orion StarSeek and when I tried controlling the mount with my iPad, I could not get (as I recall) the "East" RA arrow to function although the slews and other arrows worked. I and someone else reported it to Southern Stars back at the end of last year and I never heard a resolution to it.

JohnD

Hi John, 

I have just tried this and have exactly the same behaviour. The mount also slews at maximum rate through 90degree when connected! I gather now that Skywatcher have been aware of this problem for over a year now and have yet to provide resolution. Not very impressed!

Robin

Hi John, 

I have just tried this and have exactly the same behaviour. The mount also slews at maximum rate through 90degree when connected! I gather now that Skywatcher have been aware of this problem for over a year now and have yet to provide resolution. Not very impressed!

Robin

Just install v3.35 Hand controller and v2.10.05 Motor controller software and all issues appear to have been resolved.

Regards,

Robin

Archived