Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which 2" filter do I need to switch the veil on and off?

I suspect you are thinking of an OIII filter... remember you need a bit of apperture though - 6" plus to make the most of it.

They are scary expensive though but you *can* get them on Ebay (with Hb) for about £30 delivered from the US. They are OK for visual only though ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Filter-486-Astronomy-Hb-OIII-Nebula-II-48mm-2_W0QQitemZ170094908041QQihZ007QQcategoryZ31745QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

This seller has several Astronomy filters listed and when I first started using the 22" it was one of these OIII filters I used - very good they are too.

Arthur

I got one their 1.25" UHC filters and it certainly does the trick. Just be aware that they don't do 'gift' packaging and you'll most likely get stung on customs and handling charges.

Tony..

Ordered the Hb+OIII UHC filter 2 weeks ago and still waiting... :(

I hope these are good for imaging too! ???

I have heard there is a filter that will virtually make the Veil Nebula appear in the EP. Am I just dreaming this? If not can anyone recommend a half decent one with a 2" fitting?

I notice you have an ED100 :D

The 1st time I found the Veil was with an ED100 and a Baader UHC-S filter. Once I had found it (NOT with GOTO I might add :() with the filter I could just, and only just, detect it without the filter in place. Even with the filter it is a very faint object to find - any moonglow or light pollution and it does a dissapearing act !.

There are a number of sections to the Veil - the eastern portion is the easiest to detect I have found. It's also a large object so you need your lowest power and widest field eyepiece.

John

I have observed the Veil in an ED-100 too. In fact, it was one of the objects I searched for on its first light night to see how transmission was - it was excellent and the Veil was found no problem (no filter). I would still like one of those 2" filters though, just to make it easier on those less than perfect occasions...

AM

Archived