Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Asteroidal Occultation of 8th mag star April 30th

This event might be of interest to some observers. It`s well placed in Lynx and at a reasonable time.

I will have my video camera, GPS video time inserter and laptop hooked up to the scope but this event

can be enjoyed visually too with nothing else than a scope and eyepiece. See here for more details http://t.co/mB43db3DeJ

The chance of being in the right place is quite low due to a wide error margin, however someone somewhere could get lucky!

I`ve been trying for nearly three years to be in the shadow of an asteroid without any luck, but I keep trying!

This event might be of interest to some observers. It`s well placed in Lynx and at a reasonable time.

I will have my video camera, GPS video time inserter and laptop hooked up to the scope but this event

can be enjoyed visually too with nothing else than a scope and eyepiece. See here for more details http://t.co/mB43db3DeJ

The chance of being in the right place is quite low due to a wide error margin, however someone somewhere could get lucky!

I`ve been trying for nearly three years to be in the shadow of an asteroid without any luck, but I keep trying!

Thanks for the heads up - track seems down the east coast but here in London I'll give it a go if clear - the event is in the early evening above Cancer :police:

So did anyone manage to see the occultation?

Although I was theoretically near or on the path, it was a no-show here. At my location, the occultation should have ocurred at around 21:31:10 UT, so with an error margin of +/- 11 seconds I captured a 60 second exposure from 21:30:40 UT. If there was an occultation, the star trail should show a gap. But it doesn't! HIP 43719 is the bright trail in the centre. An interesting experiment all the same!

Single 60s exposure, SXVF-H9, 250mm f/4.7 Newtonian.

8696203369_637c24713a_c.jpg

Negative also from SW London - should have given myself more time to test trailed images eg 2m exp too long and 1m short across the frame - anyway worth a try!. My pics show..from left...

Starfield in 1m exp [interesting interactive 3 gxys top corner with sample from Sloan DSS !]

Trailed image during [non] event 2m exp

Trailed image post event east of starfield 1m exp

post-21003-0-27282100-1367480765_thumb.j

post-21003-0-59379800-1367480781_thumb.j

post-21003-0-92799100-1367480797_thumb.j

I noticed the galaxy was there the day before when I was having a practice. According to Redshift 5 it was labelled as irregular galaxy PGC 24981.

I managed to get a trace of it on an image using my Watec video camera.

post-3820-0-54921400-1367512785_thumb.jp

Archived