SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

More new toys

Having trawled through numerous threads and posts on the virtues of several pieces of gear I have gone for a Baader 2" Quicklock for my C9.25, a Carbon Williams Optics 2" Dielectric diagonal and a Baader Hyperion Aspheric 36mm ep.

I thought it was time I stretched the legs of my scope by going 2". The Diagonal is a thing of beauty. Stunningly well made and coupled with the Quicklock I shouldn't have anymore accidents with the diagonal and eyepiece falling out like I had a couple of months ago.

I am having a specially made observing pad made in our garden in a month or so and it is going to be paved, so I don't want anything falling out the back of the scope as it will certainly smash it to pieces.

Report on the new gear as soon as I can get it outside and give it a whirl.

Have been looking through my recent purchases and I am amazed at the build quality and design of it all. My new WO carbon diagonal is wonderful and oozes quality. The anodizing is great. The 1.25 reducer fits like a glove and the locking mechanism is very well thought out. With the collar gripping the eyepiece rather than the lousy knurled screw of old which just gouged into the nosepiece of your eyepieces and invariably would work loose.

The Baader Quicklock is equally brilliant. It has a real quality feel about it and the design is just excellent. Perfect for easy adjustments and you can be sure there will be no more accidents.

Finally my new Aspheric 36mm does not disappoint. Since I bought my first Hyperion 2 years ago I have been an instant convert of all things Baader. Seriously chunky and well made stuff that performs time and time again with a minimum of fuss. Brilliant.

Ok I have unscrewed the eyepiece adapter off the end of the scope so I can get a Quicklock for the scope but the eyepiece adapter on the Williams Optics Diagonal is on super tight and I can't move it.

The only option is to get a Baader Diagonal with the Quicklock on it.

Any thoughts on the quality between the WO diagonal and the Baader diagonal.

And thank you M4 for your PM

Alan

Hey Alan, If your WO diagonal shipped with the smooth nosepiece already attached then all you need to do is get a Quicklock that is suitable for your scope. As You mentioned the WO does come with a threaded collar which can attach directly onto the back of the scope, but you do need to remove the smooth nosepiece from the diagonal in order to achieve this. I was going to go down this route to begin with myself, but after careful consideration I though that the constant tightening and untightening of the collar would wear the thread over time, so that Is why I plumped for the Quicklock.

I'm told that if i remove the side plates off the WO diagonal there are 4 screws that hold the eyepiece adapter on, if so i will then be able to remove the WO eyepiece adapter off the diagonal and replace it with a Baader Quicklock Adapter, if i can get the correct threaded ring.

If all goes well i shall report back here for your interest.

Alan

Ok i removed the side plates and found the 4 allen grub screws which i removed and then removed the eyepiece adapter but it is not screwed on it has a taper which the screws tighten onto as you may be able to see in the photo.

I don't think they make a tapered ring for the Baader Quicklock Adapter only threaded ones.

15ua78.jpg

Alan

Archived