NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M51 1st capture - Standard vs 2x Drizzle DSS stack comparision

M00NMonkey

Hi Guys,

Here's my attempt at M51. Not amazing, but I am pleased considering how much there is to learn. I feel I am progressing.

200p/eq5 - SW CC/1100D - BYE/Mac

unguided:

13x80s ISO 800

27 darks

21 flats

30 bias

Image 1: standard stack in DSS and basic level stretch in PS

post-28542-0-29797300-1366361890_thumb.j

Image 2: 2x Drizzle, kappa sigma dark, flat and bias stack in DSS and basic level stretch in PS

post-28542-0-07367400-1366362545_thumb.j

I think Drizzle has definitely improved the image, though it would not work without kappa sigma clipping on the darks flats and bias. I am at a loss as to why this is?? But I really dont know much about any of the software. As i mentioned, much to learn :). Are there any detailed books on the software side of things? or is a case of learning off the net, with these things?

Thanks for looking

Clear skies

Jez

Thanks for looking and the comments everyone.

Yes agreed the 1st image is darker. In the 2nd image, the data seemed easier to stretch. IDK if I did exactly the same for each image, but I was more impressed with how drizzle handle the data, than using a standard stack.

Like I said, I am fairly new to all the software (and AP for that matter), so I am slowly feeling my way around.

As mentioned in my OP, if there are any software related books worth a read Id appreciate a heads up.

I am also interested in the technique of converting a DSLR image to a (false) LRGB image by using the grayscale option and combining with the RGB. I read about this on here somewhere, but I cant for the life of me find the post with how to go about doing it. :rolleyes: (can't afford a CCD atm so it would be nice to play with LRGB, even if not quite the same, until the pennies make the pounds :) ) (NEQ6 = same problem......come on pennies!!)

Jez

Archived