Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IDAS filters and light loss..

I have a 2" IDAS from OSC days, now I'm using LRGB & HA should I use it still, when combining RGB the image is very Orange.

Maybe for my town skies is it worth keeping? I was wondering whether to put it back on and leave it on permanently, but to me its another glass surface, is it a 1/4 stop of light loss?

I'd put it nearer a half stop of light loss.

Baader RGB filters form a notch to take out the low pressure sodium light, so the benefit of the IDAS filter will be muted on the colour frames, the IDAS filter might help the l frame a little.

I'm some 10 miles from Southampton, and here the light pollution is still noticable, but managable (milky way visible farily low down, due south, much better overhead) I get marked skyglow in my red frames but it's no real problem. I'm sure it's eating into my l-frames, but I've still measured my skyglow as being almost 20th mag/sq arc second so I can't really complain.

Derek

Hi Guy - I only have a 1.25" version, but I use mine instead of a luminance filter in my filter wheel... (and accept the risk that there might be a slight colour cast as a result).

I personally have no scientific proof (ie with vs without images) that it does actually improve the luminance subs, but I've seen somewhere on the internet where someone HAS done a with/without mono comparison and it does visibly improve the contrast on luminance frames. For RGB, as Derek says, the notch between R and G in the posh Baader's (and other quality filters) nicely coincides with the majority of the main Sodium light bandwidth...

The notches in the RGB filters do help with cutting out some light pollution, but in my experience stacking the IDAS with the RGB & replacing the lum makes a significant improvement.

Why would using an IDAS result in light loss? It still allows through the relevant bandwidths which we are interested in, filtering out those which we are not - this would not reduce in a need to expose for longer.

Here is an example of a recent image I made using Baader LRGB filters, with the IDAS stacked for the RGB frames (Lum had no IDAS) taken at f/6 all exposures 300 seconds.

8631700528_ed2948edc2_c.jpg

Well now my last target is finished I will install it between the filter wheel and reducer then maybe take out the Lum? or why not leave the lum in also as they are all par focal.?

My location is pretty light polluted and I have done LRGB imaging with and without an IDAS filter in front of the filter wheel. In my experience using the IDAS gives a better result. You still need to use a lum filter matching your RGBs to keep everything par focal

My location is pretty light polluted and I have done LRGB imaging with and without an IDAS filter in front of the filter wheel. In my experience using the IDAS gives a better result. You still need to use a lum filter matching your RGBs to keep everything par focal

Super job ' I'll squeeze it in somewhere..

Archived