Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon problems

nephilim

With regards to my previous thread http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/182942-no-image-using-byeos/ having finally installed Canon utilities (thanks Jez aka MoonMonkey for all your help!! :smiley: I'm STILL having no luck in using my EOS350D remotely with my laptop (vista32bit) On the utilities remote operations window i've this yellow ex mark post-26695-0-99829400-1365675353_thumb.j ANY ideas?? ALSO in my device manager several more of these yellow pains in the backside have appeared post-26695-0-01636400-1365675574_thumb.j Again, any ideas on this before I finally give up & launch the lot out the living room window?! :mad:

Thanks in advance

Steve

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve,

If you try and take a normal picture (without connecting to PC) do you get an error '99' message on the camera. ?

I know its not the full '999', but the extra 9 could be there because its connected to a PC.....maybe?!

From a little further investigation canons 'error 99' message is their catch-all-error-code. Meaning rather than have an error code for each specific error (which would make life so much easier!!!!) this error 99 could be a whole list of problems with them camera. lens connection, battery, cf card ..........etc

If you do get the error 99 on the actual camera, here are some steps direct from canon themselves, to try and rectify the problem. i will copy the whole post from another site.

as follows:

I have seen many postings on this and just wanted to share some troubleshooting that I went through with Canon. I received frequent Err999 messages last month. I would hear the shuttler "slap" and then the err would show up. Nothing would be saved and I would have to power off then on.

I had to send mine in and the shutter mech was replaced.

Here is what Canon said to try:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. I'm sorry to hear that
your EOS 10D is displaying an "ERR 99" message.

To isolate the cause of the issue, we suggest that you do the
following:

1. Turn off the camera.
2. Remove the lens, battery, and CF card.
3. Allow the camera to sit without power for approximately 20 minutes.
4. Insert a fully charged battery, and turn on the camera.

Does the "ERR 99" message appear? If it does, then the camera should
be serviced. If it does not, then please proceed to the next set of
steps:

1. Turn off the camera.
2. Insert the CF card.
3. Turn on the camera.
4. Format the CF card in the camera.

Does the "ERR 99" message appear? If so, then the CF card is the most
likely source of the issue. Try using a different card.

If the message does not appear, please complete the following steps:

1. Turn off the camera.
2. Clean the lens contacts by gently rubbing them with a pencil eraser
or soft cloth. Be careful that you do not let any debris fall into the
camera body.
3. Reattach your lens.
4. Turn on the camera.

If the "ERR 99" message only appears when one particular lens is
attached, then that lens should be examined by a service technician.

If you see the "ERR 99" with a different Canon lens attached, then the
camera should be serviced.

For factory service, forward your digital camera (remove the CF card
and battery) properly packaged and insured, with a letter describing the
difficulties. Be sure to include your name, address, telephone number,
and proof of warranty (if applicable). Send to the Canon Factory
Service Center at the following address:

Canon Factory Service Center
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
Tel.# (732)521-7007

or

Canon Factory Service Center
15955 Alton Parkway
Irvine, CA 92618
Tel.# (949) 753-4200

Your equipment will be examined and you will be advised of the
findings.
The length of time for the repair will be dependent upon the nature of
the repair and availability of parts if needed. If the repair entails
something that is not covered in warranty you will be sent a written
estimate to the address that you have provided.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

xxxxxx
W

I am sure this is not what you wanted to hear mate, but it is a high possibility that it is the camera that is at fault. See if the above solution helps in any way.

Hopefully another member of SGL will have a better idea on what may help and make a post accordingly.

Good luck and fingers crossed

Jez

Cheers mate, I've seen ur pm & it sounds like i'll 'try' & get a refund although I dont hold much hope from what i've read of the customer reviews of this company (for anyone interested & to steer anyone else WELL CLEAR I will post the link Jez helpfully sent http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/uk.webuy.com )

Anyone elses help with this error would be gratefully recieved.

Steve

No mate it just shows the above pic, in byeos it says that imaging session is in progresst but the camera stays silent and theres no image at the end (it also states 'imaging complete'), in device manager it says everything is ok as well?

Steve,

Just to clarify, on the camera display (not pc) are there any errors showing when you try and take a pic?

I dont know if you even can without a lens?? (the pics above are just of your PC screen are they not?)

another thought. On the camera, at the bottom of setup 1 menu, you can set it to "shoot w/o card" this may do nothing I am not sure, but it may help.

Im beginning to run out of ideas now mate :(

another thought. On the camera, at the bottom of setup 1 menu, you can set it to "shoot w/o card" this may do nothing I am not sure, but it may help.

Strangely enough, i spotted this option earlier and wondered what the heck it was for....

Sounds like a good candidate for a fix here, fingers crossed, but all those yellows in device manager dont bode well...

Edit: looking closer, they're under network adapters, while the camera shows installed... Very wierd.

Strangely enough, i spotted this option earlier and wondered what the heck it was for....

Sounds like a good candidate for a fix here, fingers crossed, but all those yellows in device manager dont bode well...

Edit: looking closer, they're under network adapters, while the camera shows installed... Very wierd.

Good spot. It's not weird -- the network stuff is nothing to do with the camera.

It probably won't help but I know I was able to reprogram my 350d with the "russian hack".

It is a long shot but reprogramming might fix it.

OK, another idea to add for trials.

I have found a driver for the 350D. Its for PTP comms when the camera is set to (PRINT/PTP). It mentions on the page that you can't use remote shooting with eos capture. A similar issue to what you're experiencing.

http://www.driverswar.com/free-scanner-digital-camera-webcam-camcorder/canon/canon-eos-350d-camera-ptp-wia-driver-1-0-0_5809.html

It may work.

Jez

Steve,

Just to clarify, on the camera display (not pc) are there any errors showing when you try and take a pic?

I dont know if you even can without a lens?? (the pics above are just of your PC screen are they not?)

Im beginning to run out of ideas now mate :(

BINGO........Just got your post re the w/o option (this serves me right for not looking at the manual I downloaded) I switched it to on and 'Hey presto' the camera is firing!! Tried it with byeos again but still no joy, then my battery died (pah) off to work shortly but will try your above link when i get home. Cheers for all your help so far.........I was close to launching it into orbit :grin: At least the camera isnt at fault?

PS Theres NO errors showing when I pressed capture although some sort of histogram appeared briefly on screen (Camera not pc) then the battery went.

Good spot. It's not weird -- the network stuff is nothing to do with the camera.

It probably won't help but I know I was able to reprogram my 350d with the "russian hack".

It is a long shot but reprogramming might fix it.

Ive seen the russian hack but would rather nottry that until ideas completely run out....I'm useless with tech (Hence all this :rolleyes: ) Thanks for the idea though :smiley:

Steve

Not sure how well Backyard will work as there's no LiveView on the 350D. This isn't a problem per se but might lead you into thinking nothing's doing when really it is?

Posted via Tapatalk on an ageing iPhone so please excuse any erroneous spellings or accidental profanities!

BINGO........Just got your post re the w/o option (this serves me right for not looking at the manual I downloaded) I switched it to on and 'Hey presto' the camera is firing!! Tried it with byeos again but still no joy, then my battery died (pah) off to work shortly but will try your above link when i get home. Cheers for all your help so far.........I was close to launching it into orbit :grin: At least the camera isnt at fault?

PS Theres NO errors showing when I pressed capture although some sort of histogram appeared briefly on screen (Camera not pc) then the battery went.

Great, looking promising. BYE wont connect if camera battery dead. Get everything charged and try again when you back from work, mate.

It maybe best to download that driver I linked beforehand too. Sounds like we're getting somewhere though!!! fingers crossed

Jez

Right mate, if we thought this was getting confusing...........Look at THESE???????????????? post-26695-0-92517100-1365774116_thumb.j

post-26695-0-46758000-1365774238_thumb.j

post-26695-0-42921400-1365774358_thumb.j The first is a pic of the logs of the images ive 'taken' (camera hasnt taken any images) the second is one of those logs opened up & the 3rd is a shot of byeos after ive 'taken' a (no existent) image........If you can work that out your a better man than me mate :confused::mad:

OK, another idea to add for trials.

I have found a driver for the 350D. Its for PTP comms when the camera is set to (PRINT/PTP). It mentions on the page that you can't use remote shooting with eos capture. A similar issue to what you're experiencing.

http://www.driverswa...1-0-0_5809.html

It may work.

Jez

did you try this driver, linked above?

In the last photo it says "image download timeout. process terminated"

This would suggest the the software cant talk to the camera to download the image. This driver SHOULD/MIGHT fix this.

Dont worry about what the first 2 pics show. but here is a brief explanation:

They are log files. they just show that the camera should have been taking a sub, and is logged as such in this file. However, the PC and camera dont seem to be able to communicate to download the image file directly to the PC. This is causing the delay, which makes it look like it is taking a longer sub than what you have set BYE to take. The PC will get bored trying to communicate and download the image, and terminate the process (what is in the 3rd pic)

Hope this makes sense. Trying to explain it so you can understand why it is, and whats, happening.

Jez

Archived