Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Time to upgrade.....

Hey everyone. Been a lurker on here for a while. I currently have a very basic 70mm scope which has now had it. I have very basic knowledge on scopes. Am looking for something portable - so not a huge Dob. I would love a GOTO and I guess I'm looking at between 4 and 6 inch aperture.

What are people's thoughts on the Nexstar 4SE? My budget is around £400. I'd love to be able to afford the 5SE but its out my price range. It would maybe only get used once a month so it makes sense not to spend too much.

What about this Skywatcher http://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-skymax-127-synscan-az-goto.html ?

Or how about even going larger, without the GOTO and adding that later http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-eq3-2-eq3-pro-goto.html Although with the GOTO its £630 and to buy the GOTO by itself it would be over £300, so that might be wasting money, but I can't stretch to £630 right now :-/

It's my birthday next month and the wife said she may get me one so I need to decide soon. I'm sure the Nexstar 4SE would be an amazing upgrade from what I have, but then I'm thinking should I look at bigger and better to future proof myself.

Also, can anyone advise me on whether I'd need to collimate this first? Even though I don't know what that is. And would I realistically need other eyepieces straight away?

Look forward to any ideas.

I have the Skywatcher 127 and I love it.

It depends what you want to do with it.

My personal opinion is if you want to do visual I don't think it matters what you get. If you want to do some imaging, then it depends what you want to image; planets, moon or sun then the Mak and you can easily image with that Goto alt-az mount, but if you want to image DSOs then you want a scope with faster optics (< f/9) and a wider field of view, but you'd also really need an equatorial mount with tracking motors.

Maks tend to be more expensive per inch than newtonians.

I think you need to be more specific about what you want out of the new system. If imaging DSOs is on that list, I'd start out with a posh mount, and maybe just use your current scope until you can save up again and buy another scope which relative to the mount will be 'cheap'.

James

Thanks for this. Can't believe I left the part out about what I wanted from it.

I certainly would eventually like to go into astrophotography. But that could be a long term goal. If I was to do any over the next few years, I guess it would just be of the planets. So. If I went for one of the GOTO, I would be able to do some imaging of the planets yes?

I think I really would like to go for the Skywatcher 150p without the GOTO and add it later. But if you do that you end up spending more as the GOTO by itself is very expensive, which is a shame.

Glad to know you're getting good results with yours.

Thanks!

There is another thread close this one about the 127 mak and i've put some of my images there.

If you get the 150mm newtonian you could do really good visual and good astrophotography if you had a good equatorial mount with motors.

If you want to image planets now then i'd be drawn towards the 127 mak. If you just want to do visual, then the 150 newt will have a wider field of view to allow greater visual opportunities but still allow you to view the planets and moon ok.

Sounds like you have made your mind up anyway.

Make sure you have played with both either at a shop or ideally at a star party or a friends house.

James

I have recently bought the Skymax 127 AZ GOTO,and although i have only used it a few times for now i am very pleased with it.

Its light and compact and easy to set up,once you've gathered all the tips to help set up better,and looking at James' images,is pretty good for AP.

Hey again guys. I've just actually been reading the other thread on the 127 Mak. Very useful.

I don't know why but I'm still actually swayed by the 4SE, but I think only cos it looks "nicer", which is just stupid I know. But I guess I'm also thinking that with the 4SE being £10 more than the 127 but smaller aperture, it may be better quality.

I'm thinking now I definitely don't want to start with the 150P without a GOTO. Am I right in thinking this a different mount altogether than the 127 and 4SE? Remember I'm a noob. But I believe the scope I have now is with a EQ mount. And I think without the GOTO it is rather tough to use for a beginner. So the 127 and the 4SE are the same mount right? Alt az?

Thanks guys.

Both the 127 and the 4se are the same make of scope, mak-cassegrain. They ate from different manufacturers, both very reputable. I've not seen or have any experience of the 4se. Remember aperture is king (well mount is king, aperture is queen). The 4se is 101mm in diameter, the -27 is 127mm in diameter; if you work out the are of a circle for each, fond out the area of the central obstruction of each and remove that, you'd find out how much more area the 127 has for gathering light than the 4se.

The mounts look similar.

Goto is good but relies on a really accurate alignment by you. With both scopes you are never going to make out most of the 40000 items in the data base of the handset.

The mounts are alt az, yes.

I think the 127 is the minimum aperture you should go for, it is 25% more diameter which will equate to much more light gathering.

But as always, you should get your hands on both scopes and have a play, compare ease of transport, set up, use, and quality of the images for visual and imaging. Get to a local meeting; join up to your local astronomical society.

James

Thanks again for this. I've watched a couple of vids on youtube now and I think I'm definitely happy with the 127.

Unfortunately I've never came across any astronomy shops locally and I don't think there is an astronomy group for miles either.

Can you answer me one more thing? How noisy is the mount? Seemed rather loud on the video I watched. Just wondering for when I view in my garden and the neighbours are wondering what's going on, lol.

I had a look at the Celestron Nexstars when i bough my 127 as the shop had the 4se and 6se on show,and to be honest the 4se did seem too small and fragile,and there was summat that put me off it but i can't remeber what now?

The motor noise on the 127 is pretty quiet,i have used mine in the back garden,and even with the french doors open my missus couldn't hear it and i was about 30 feet away.

I have just set my 127 up with a Nikon D90 attached,see other thread,and it seemed fine, a bit wobbly when setting focus etc but settles down quick so will be trying some imaging next time its clear,a cable release is a must though.

Ok, mind definitely made up :-)

So, what extras would I be thinking of? It seems it comes with enough eyepieces to get me started, I guess that's the main thing.

Oh no.... Currently in available on First Light Optics :-/

Try HERE

This is where i got mine from which i went and collected as they are only about 1/2 hour away but i also bought my 200pds over the phone and it was here the next day and well packed.

I had the last one the other week but they were getting another delivery on the Tuesday which would have been last week.?

i would keep an eye out on astro buy and sell as well mate ,as second hand scopes are usually very good value , i have bought all my scopes second hand and haven't had a lemon yet. astro people tend to look after their equipment very well and buying from ab and s is usually ok [although i do go and collect my scopes so that i can have a use of it before buying ]although having a year/2 year warranty may makle up the price difference .i have had a ext 90 and used a 4se now have a127 az skymax and its a great grab and go scope

to be honest the 4se did seem too small and fragile,and there was summat that put me off it but i can't remeber what now?

I wouldn't say it was fragile .... mine seems pretty strong ... but as for that or the 127 ... go bigger as you will benefit from the bigger aperture.

£800 is way over budget. The wife would have my head on a stick...

And I think info was going to buy second hand, I'd be best going to test first and being a noob it would be tough to know what to test for.

£363 for the Synscan 127 seems like a bargain. Happy with that :-)

Thanks peeps.

Archived