Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

moon + web cam

A couple of nights ago while i was sorting through some old bits and bobs i found an old logitec web cam, so i had a bit of a play with it and removed the lens and added a bit of tube to fit in the focuser of the telescope, well tonight i managed to get a couple of shots of the moon before it went behind the neighbours house, i'm quite surprized at it really, all i did with the shot is removed abit of noise and a light unsharp mask, not to bad for a first attempt with a web cam. moon1.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks james, I think next time i try i will move the computer so i can see the screen, that will help with the focusing, man that was hard going in and out of the door and tweaking the focus. i also did an eyepiece projection shot with a HP620 digital camera but i haven't loaded that on to my computer yet so i dont know how that one came out.

Your Welcome,

The focus you got is pretty good esp having to go in and out i used to have to do that until i got a laptop makes life so much easier having a computer outside with you.

Lets hope you EP projection pic comes out just aswell Al :) , may i ask how many frames you stacked? Also if you image the moon in B/W mode if you camera supports it you will find the end result even better and easier to focus whilst imaging. Of course you can still just change it to a B/W image in your processing software's.

James :)

I didnt stack, thats it as it came near enough, like i said in the first post i just removed noise, and then unsharp masked it, and thats how it turned out :shock:

Blimey it's a wonderfull shot then Al, the Norm is to take an avi file(movie) then stack all the frames from the AVI in Registax then process the image :shock: :)

Just think what you can get with stacking the Images :shock:

James :)

Guest Anonymous

thanks will bookmark those and have a read,

buy the way i've only just noticed but my name is Alasdair (everyone just calls me AL) :)

:) sorry , i guess thats what happens when you try and do two things at once, i'm gettin my scope in as the sky has an orange haze :x it wasn't to bad earlier, and trying to sort the kids out, they never want to go to sleep when i've got the scope out.

I used Photoshop version 5 (an old one!).

All I did was click on the desaturate function (which got rid of the green). Then I clicked on filters & sharpen (twice over).

I'm hopeless at the more advanced techniques like using layers..... :oops:

Glad you like it. :)

Hi Al,

Great first attempt with the webcam. Which Logitech webcam is it? Logitech have some very capable cams in their range.

I've had a play with your first image, not much better. You already did a good job with it.

moon1.jpg

Look forward to your next set of images.

Russ

Hi russ, it was i think a quick cam express (before i modded it :) ), you have managed to make the pic a bit sharper, when i tried that it went all grainy, just have to practice a bit more, i,ve managed to get hold of corel photo paint 8 (boot fair bargin :) ) so will have a go with that and see what it can do.

AL

Hi Al,

If that doesn't work out, I think I have a free copy of Paint Shop Pro hanging around you can have. It's only a freebie from a computer mag, version 7 i think but still pretty good.

Russ

Archived