Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First DSOs :D - M13, M51

Azure

After agesssss of saving up and buying stuff etc I have finally got to a stage where I can do some (basic) DSO AP. So here are my first two goes at it;

M13 - 33 lights of 15s ISO800, 20ish darks, total exposure 8m 15s

M51 - 68 lights of 30s ISO1600, 25 darks, total exposure 34m 0s

I know it's not alot, but it's a start(: Feel free to give me advice! I could sure use some aha

One question I have though - why is there no colour? Is the only way to get colour to use RGB filters?

Thanks all

post-20453-0-46548400-1365333883_thumb.j

post-20453-0-11433900-1365333902_thumb.j

Good stuff! Tried the same two targets last night. M51 was a no-go as it was near the zenith when I got to it so the standard SW ED80 DS focuser wouldn't hold tight to keep focus. So ended up at M13. I'll post it up in a mo...

Afraid I don't use a DSLR (I assume you have here?) so I can't help with your colour question. But there's plenty on here that can.

They're very good for such a short total exposure :) I can see some colour in M51 - you just need more data to bring it out more. Also I think you may be able to tease a bit more out of it...

A bit later... Yes. I've taken a screenshot (just the galaxy) and stretched it in PS to show the colour you already have. Here's the result :-

post-13131-0-38102000-1365337845_thumb.p

Oh wow - that's amazing! I'm gonna need to teach myself how to do that haha

Does more data give more colour? So if I went out and collected more images, would it be easier to bring out the colours?

hi,Azure

good first images...

to bring out more colour, in PS, click on image, in the dropdown menu, click adjustments, then match colour.

pull the slider up to around 140ish.

repeat this 2-3 times and theres the colour.

be careful not to over do it.

hope this helps.

Archived