Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron SE Handset USB to RS232 adaptor

For reasons best know to themselves, Celestron ship an RS232 cable to connect the Nexstar+ handsets to a computer. However, neither my laptop nor PC have an RS232 socket.

I went to purchase a USB to RS232 adaptor and was informed that it may not work and that the cable can not be returned if it doesn't so I wondered if anyone out there has successfully used an adaptor and if so which one?

My only other option I suppose is to purchase a serial card for the pc.

I bought a USB to rs232 from local computer chop and loaded onto computer first then uploaded drivers for celestron to starry night, then connected it all together and it is working quite happily. My computer is running XP, so not sure if windows 7 or 8 would be so co operative.

Hi Albenn, looks like I spotted your question a little bit too late but for what it's worth I just bought an Aten USB-to-Serial RS-232 converter (UC-232A) from Ballicom International via Amazon, it was £13 including postage and works a treat with my old WinXP 32-bit laptop and my recent Win7 64-bit desktop. The XP laptop required the drivers on the supplied disc, but the Win7 machine just installed the cable automatically. I flashed both my MC and HC firmwares via the Win7 machine, then tested scope control from Stellarium, and everything worked brilliantly. I've just got the laptop controlling the scope through Stellarium too, again no problems whatsoever. When I was looking for a converter I read a lot of reviews and found that a lot of the cheaper cables just don't work, so decided to pay a little bit more for something reliable, and now that the cable has performed faultlessly, I'm pretty glad I did!

Hi Baz6170

Yes, I was a little unsure about just getting any old cable so that's why I went for the one from Astronomiser. It just irks me a little that I should have to purchase any adaptor at any cost in order to flash the handset. I mean, the RS232 interface is pretty much obsolete on home pc's.

I liken it to having to buy a fuel filler pipe separately when I buy a car in order to refuel.

Archived