Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Always wanted one of these....

Stu

I think I've used the TV76 more since I had it than any of my other scopes put together, in my garden because it is so quick to set up, and also under some dark (well, as dark as it gets at the moment) skies on trips away in the UK.

Same here, keep mine in a Peli storm case ready to go and it's up and running in seconds. Terrific little 'scope.

I love the 76 as it is so portable, but could actually see myself getting an 85 at some point when finances allow.

And same here again :) I've used the 76 and an 85 side-by-side, and do think the 85 is a wonderful telescope. Can't really justify the cost difference and the 76 is great for what I need, but still dream of it. But then i'd probably be thinking of a 102... ;)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a 106 triplet which is a lovely scope, but relatively big and heavy and needs the full giro and hefty tripod to be stable. I'm sure I could justify an 85 to go in the middle :-)

Stu

Yes, sorry about that Mark. I'm sure another will come up sooner or later. I haven't forgotten my side by side with the WO SD66, will hopefully get it done soon then I can sell the 66. The one thing about the SD66 which still surprises me is just how small it is! It is significantly smaller and lighter than the 76 and is still very capable under dark skies.

Stu

The one thing about the SD66 which still surprises me is just how small it is! It is significantly smaller and lighter than the 76 and is still very capable under dark skies.

Stu

Don't get me wrong Stu the WO SD66 is a nice little frac. Last September I spent a week in an area north of Barmouth - really dark skies. I had a fantastic view of the North American Nebula using the SD66 with a 26mm Nagler and an UHC filter.

Since that event I attended SGL8 and was able to use RikM's TV Pronto to view the Sun - the image and contrast was so much better than my SD66. I think this made me decide to look for a Pronto or a TV76. However, over the past two months I have bought a 21mm Ethos and a 180 Mak Cass so the TV frac will have to wait.

Mark

I certainly agree with that. My 66 has been with me all over the place, including Tanzania and given me some great views. There are a few reports on the forum that I've posted. As you well know, it gives over 5 degree fov with a 21 ethos, yet still has just enough power to show the GRS and shadow transits on Jupiter. Still struggling with the concept of selling it because its been fab, but the reality is that the 76 is the one that comes away with me now and provided it will fit in carry on luggage in a plane (which it will), then it will give me what I need.

Stu

Good review. I have - and love - the 70mm Pronto. What build quality. I have a ZS66 as well but, sorry, they cannot be compared mechanically. The 66 is not bad optically though. It's just that using a TeleVue is... an event!

Olly

Thank Olly. It certainly feels like it is hewn from a solid lump of metal! I do like the old style R&P focuser too, really solid but also buttery smooth. I don't really miss having a fine focus adjustment with it and love the retro look of the wheels!

I agree, totally different class build wise to the 66, and lovely to view through too. I'm looking forward to some nice widefield views under really dark skies.

Stu

Well if the clouds stay away, which is looking touch and go, I might manage a bit of a side by side comparison between the TV76 and WO SD66. Will be pretty limited on targets, even the moon doesn't rise till pretty late but I'll see what I can find!

post-6762-137218913511_thumb.jpg

post-6762-137218915699_thumb.jpg

I'm set up amongst the Rhubarb :-).

Got a 7 and 9mm BGO which give similar magnification and also 17 and 22mm t4's but sky might be too bright for those until very late.

Cheers

Stu

Archived