NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just tell me what to buy...

Looking for a computerized deep space observation telescope that works well with Sky Safari Pro on my iPad. I am more than a beginner, previously owner a 10" Orion Dob, but I just want the easy way a program objects and zoom :) I also want it to be easy for the public to view. I'm female so not too heavy. 1000-2000K. Thanks so much, I've got star parties coming up soon.

Nexstar SE 8? These are lightweight (the OTA weighs in at just 4.7kg, or about 10.5lbs), and they are very compact, especially for their 8" aperture (lighter than any 6" refractor, Newtonian, or Mak I have heard of). The short tube means the EP stays very much in the same place. Collimation of these scopes is rock solid. An SGL member who is disabled can handle the scope from his wheelchair (LukeSkywatcher, who will probably chime in). Some people will say the F/10 focal ratio is not suitable for DSOs, but that is simply wrong for visual (for imaging it is an issue). I have seen over 600 DSOs with my GP-C8 (same OTA on a Great Polaris EQ mount), so that shows what you can do with it. With a 2" visual back (cheap) and a 2" diagonal (not so cheap) added, I got a maximum of 1.34 deg field of view with a 40mm Paragon. With my 31T5 Nagler I get 1.25 deg. This is big enough for almost all DSOs (not the Veil, and similar big ones). For the larger ones (and imaging) I have a short-tube refractor (or use 15x70 binoculars). If you want a sturdier mount, you could go for the CPC800. Various EQ mount options are also available in your price bracket.

The slow focal ratio has the added advantage that it allows use of cheaper EPs, which can be handy at star parties. I have heard of cases of fingerprints and even mascara stains on the eye lenses of EPs at star parties :eek:

You really do not want that to happen to a Nagler, Ethos or XW.

Hi Chiliprepper and welcome to SGL :)

I'm not sure about Sky Safari cos I've not used that - but I do know others have successfully hooked it up for remote mount control. To match your requirements the best I can I'd suggest looking at something like this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-250p-ds-ota.html

It'll give you plenty of aperture and fine focus control for snapping onto dso's - and there are electronic auto focus options out there as well if required. You can mount it on one of these:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-neq6-pro-synscan.html

For visual use it will support the scope well (though too close to the weight limit for imaging) - beware an OTA that size will be a sail in the wind - and on a calm day there will be a short delay for damping of vibrations after slewing. You will probably want to upgrade the SW mounting shoe and dovetail to ADM for firmer fixing to the mount and better viewing stability.

There are plenty of zoom eyepieces on the market - I've not seen any electronic ones though. At under 1500K for mount and scope you'll have enough budget left to cover the accessories I've mentioned. I have used the above manually for visual use only. Someone else will suggest how to hook it all up for remote control - or your local retailer should be able to help there. Hth :)

Archived