Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Insurance

We are a local astro soc and want to take our scope out to the public, schloos, town centres etc. We want to insure our scopes but does anyone know who would be able to offer suitable insurance please

John South Cheshire Astro Soc

The individual owners of the scopes could probably find their household insurance already covers them, or for a small fee an upgrade to existing policy which might be better than looking at a specific policy. Often works well for people with camera gear, cycles, fishing tackle etc.

Household insurance usually covers personal items when away from home but check your own policies for this and any excess. The big problem is public liability insurance as any committee members of the organising club could find themselves liable for accidents; members of the public tripping over tripod legs for instance. It might be wise to arrange a single entry point to your event with prominent disclaimers that persons entering do so at their own risk etc.

Nigel

I arranged my insurance with the NFU. As they are proper brokers you actually get to discuss with them your requirements, and they can usually find an insurer.

Cheers

Tim

At the risk if coming over all 'elf n safety', any club or organisation needs, as previously mentioned, public liability insurance.

I'm also afraid to say, that disclaimers carry no weight in civil courts, where damages claims are likely to be settled. You need to ensure you have dreaded 'risk assessments' in place and I would advise they are written down.

Imagine electrocuting 'little Johnny' when he leaned on something shorting out, cos of one of the members homemade wiring!

Doesn't need to be anything too taxing - just robust and cover the essentials. Don't worry about the trivial - just the really important bits of which there should be few.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Archived