Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some level advice required

I have built a printed PVC setting circle into my 12"lightbridge, this should be accurate to half a degree. I find some nights my astro navigation is pretty accurate, and on other nights it can be a little off 3-4 degrees

i level my scope as best I can, my question is how level does the base need to be, to give an Az within 0.5 to 1 degree

I've normally just levelled mine with a spirit level and its pretty accurate.

how are you 'calibrating ' it?

I aim it at something known, then look up the alt az with sky safari.

I know some people calibrate by aiming north but I have better luck my way :D

Keep at it !

You can do a sort of 'pae' or pointing accuracy enhancement as the skywatcher goto describes it :D

When you're in a certain constellation you can tweak the scale to match another known object.

Well I had a very successful night, took time to level my base. Generally objects were out by a degree at most. Partly the errors will be due to me calibrating to zero using Polaris which isn't 100% accurate, and I guess small errors in levelling as the scope slews around. I guess the base/be earring gives a little as the main tube is swung around.

with practice I know I'll get better, and will be able to level the base better and quicker. I beat my mate to locating things, and he's using goto ;)

Archived