Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturday 31/3/13 Todmorden

nightfisher

I finally went to the astronomy centre at Todmorden,

I arrived at 7pm, just as dusk was falling, and i was gobsmacked at how many domes Peter has built! introductions and sign in, then got a guided tour of the site, nestling in low hills between Tod and Bacup, up to the main obs housing a big meade LX200 16", and it was pointing at Jupiter, so it would have been rude not to have a look at mighty Jupiter and its moons, caught the transit just as it was ending, cool.

Then in nest dome is the 200mm f12 refractor, would have liked a look through it but did not get time will have to go again :grin:

Then in another dome a goto Meade LX200 and some people were doing their best to locate comet Panstarr, have to say well done as they located it, so i finally got to view this solar system visitor.

Back to main obs and the usual stuff M42, glimpsed the E star in the trapezium, tried to split sirius and the pup, but it was far to low and dropped under the horizon as i was trying.

Had a chat with some visitors, and meet up with a person i know, sorry Paul, did not recognize you with the beard!,

Then Sarurn was on view so i got my first look this year, to be honest it was a bit low in the sky, and i had to leave at a sensible time, but great to get a first look this year, hopefully plenty more time will be spent on Saturn this year, all in all a great bunch of people, and a great night

Archived